Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Celebration

Earn badges and make progress

You're on your way to the next level! Join the Kudos program to earn points and save your progress.

Deleted user Avatar
Deleted user

Level 1: Seed

25 / 150 points

Next: Root

1 badge earned

Collect

Participate in fun challenges

Challenges come and go, but your rewards stay with you. Do more to earn more!

Challenges
Coins

Gift kudos to your peers

What goes around comes around! Share the love by gifting kudos to your peers.

Recognition
Ribbon

Rise up in the ranks

Keep earning points to reach the top of the leaderboard. It resets every quarter so you always have a chance!

Leaderboard

Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

In Insight is there actually a "Reference type" for a Reference?

Hi,

In the last paragraph of this article ( https://support.atlassian.com/jira-service-management-cloud/docs/what-is-a-reference/ ) it mentions that you can set-up a "Reference type" for a Reference.  However there is no mention of this ability in the follow-on Add/Modify/Delete articles.  Nor is there any ability that I can see to create or maintain this "Reference type" on the fields used to create and maintain References.

Does the "Reference type" field in fact exist?  If it does how is it set and maintained?

Thanks.

Larry.

1 answer

0 votes
Dirk Ronsmans Community Leader Feb 20, 2022

Hi @Laurence Reynolds ,

Each time you create a new attribute which is an object reference you'll see that the type of reference at the end can be given a specific name (basically the type of relation between the 2 objects)

image.png

By default there are only a few but you can add them on the fly in that attribute.

To manage them more globally you can either go to your "Object Schema"> "Configure" option in the top right (these are the reference types specific for that schema)

image.png

Or you can go to the general insight menu (top bar) and go to "Configure Insight" there you'll find the global reference types which can be used on all schema's

image.png

Hope that clears it up a bit!

Hi Dirk,

Yes thanks it helps a bit.  But I am still unclear as to purpose of References.  Are they purely documentation (this seems to be the case from what you say) or can they be used for something useful?  Can any functionality be linked to the reference?

Case in point, I am looking at building a Software Asset Management (SAM) System in Insight.  I have a SW object type with several child object types.  I would like to be able to automatically populate attributes such as SWName, SWVersion, etc. on the objects from the child object types with the values from the equivalent attributes on the associated objects on the SW object type.  I was hoping that I could do this with References. 

But from your reply it looks like I will have to find some other way to do this.  Correct?

Regards.

Larry. 

Hi Dirk,

For an automatic insertion into Jira Insight using python, where could we find the id of theses reference type please ?

Regards,

Stromos

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Atlassian Community Events