cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing data with non-unique keys to Assets

Sergei Gridnevskii
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 30, 2023

Hi Team,

I am using an Assets Object Type (say Buckets) with no unique keys. It contains objects for different departments of the company. Name is the name of the object, also I have a Department attribute.

Lets say I have 5 objects for Department Sales with names

Name      Department
-------    ---------------
Word       Sales
Excel       Sales
Jira         Sales
Portal       Sales
ERP         Sales

My boss came to me and said man we need a second sales department, please copy all objects from first one.

I exported 5 objects to Excel, changed Department to New Sales 

Name      Department
-------    ---------------
Word       New Sales
Excel        New Sales
Jira          New Sales
Portal      New Sales
ERP         New Sales

I go to Import, perform Import and expect to see 10 objects - 2 Words, 2 Excels and so on.

However I see that Jira changed existing 5 objects by applying new department.

Is there a way to tell Jira not to modify existing objects on import, but to add new objects?

1 answer

0 votes
Sergei Gridnevskii
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 30, 2023

After asking I figured out that I can add an ID attribute to Buckets, add ID column to Excel, autofill it with A3=A2+1 formula, make it an identifier in Import, perform an import and then delete ID attribute from object type.

Looks like a workaround, but maybe Jira can do it an easier way?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events