cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import JSM Customers into Insight as Users

Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 22, 2021

I'm pondering this problem and hope the community can help.

I'm using the CSV import capability of Insight to poplulate objects.  I'd like to include Users for these objects.  The assets are owned by JSM portal customers (so not normally managed by Jira User Management).  Has anyone programmatically added users to Insight objects where the users are on the JSM customer list?

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Suzi Firth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 25, 2022

Hello,

I found a solution and was able to import over 1000 assets with connection to Jira Customer today :). I did this in JSM Cloud too.

Here's how I did it....

To find the Customer ID/Username of all customers:

1. Go to Atlassian Administration portal
  2. Select your site
  3. Go to Products
  4. Under Sites and Products, select your site
  5. Select Portal Customers
  6. Click Export Customers

This exports in a CSV. The first column called username is effectively the ID. It looks like this and is unique to each customer:

qm:4e8fa7c5-0f86-49a1-8cd1-6f12e0e8b4d9:f54b6785-eec8-4620-867c-b4be6a61191d

This is what you enter into your CSV to import your insight objects.

As an example, I have two attributes associated to my object type. Both of these attributes type is set as User. One points to the Managers "Customer Record". This is a single customer linked to one object.

The other points to the "Manager Of Customers". This is multiple customers linked to one object. When you have multiple customers, just insert || between the two identifiers, like shown below.

Capture.JPG

Cheers,

Suzi

Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 26, 2022

This may work but it implies Site admin privileges.  What happens if you're not Site admin?

Suzi Firth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 26, 2022

Hi,

That is correct. You would require Site Admin privileges to obtain the customer export list. 

Insight import would be dependent on what permissions you set on the object schema.

Kind regards,

Suzi

Like Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_ likes this
2 votes
Suzi Firth
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 24, 2022

Would be great if there was a way to do this in cloud version 

I currently need to manually associate 500 assets to their individual customer account 

Jule Helder September 28, 2022

Ho do you associate the assets manually to the customer account? I do not see a way to get the ID of the customer account as you described above

Suzi Firth
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 28, 2022

Hi Jule,

On the object type, you would have an attribute with a type as "User".

I've called my field name User as well, eg below

ice_screenshot_20220929-082241.png

And then when you enter a new Object or edit an object, you can start typing the customer's name or email in the field and it will show you all the options.

Capture.JPG

It's important to know that while working in the Project a User is defined as someone who is working on issues in the project (assignee), whilst a Customer is defined as someone who is sending issues to the project (reporter).

In insight, the attribute type user is defined as either a user or customer. It will search both areas of the site and provide search result.

Suzi

1 vote
Guilhem Dupuy
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 22, 2021

Hi @Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_ ,

I've done something similar in the past; as long as your users have an account in your Cloud site you can import them using the "User import" functionality, available from the object scheme configuration => import.

Let me know if this helps,

Guilhem

Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 22, 2021

Could you elaborate?  I'm not seeing this in Insight for Jira Cloud.

Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 22, 2021

This is what I see when I configure the Object Schema: Screen Shot 2021-03-22 at 12.17.48 PM.png

Is this because this is the Cloud version of Insight?  Another variable could be that I'm currently using a trial license.

Guilhem Dupuy
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 23, 2021

My bad @Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_ my advice works for the data center and server versions only :/ 

Unfortunately on Cloud you only have access to CSV imports, but maybe you could work on a work around based on this, by importing the users e-mail adresses for instance ?

Steven Lees-Smith May 18, 2022

Jumping in here, I can import the customer email from our asset system into an IT Hardware schema I have setup, I just cannot see how to say this email address in insight matches the customer email address in JSM to form the connection between the imported data and the current customers.

I want it to bind when we import from the asset management system to Insight.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events