Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Implementing IT service desk

Lamont Chambers October 25, 2021

So my company and I are exploring our options for implementing a IT service desk to help with the typics employee related questions (Software requests, bugs happening, need hardware, etc..). Our current baseline, is that we use Slack for all requests but its now become unmanageable (scaling too quickly and I am super OCD when it comes to operations and organization). Would love some ideas on how to go about implementing a beginner level IT Service desk (we dont have an IT person) that is easy enough to scale as the company grows. Here are some of the assumptions:

• Needs to scale for up to 200+ employees
  • Do not have access to Jira Service Management ( no clue what this tool does). I am up for purchasing
  • Have Jira Software and Confluence
  • Current workflow is people message in Slack to an IT Channel
  • Ideally would like low coding involved

Would love the communities thoughts on best practices, YouTube videos, possible interviewing people on what they do at their org. Also if you have a IT plan that I can use, I would be appreciative. If this is the wrong venue, please feel free to shoot me in the right direction!

2 comments

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 25, 2021

Hey @Lamont Chambers and welcome to the community!

Here are my opinions/thoughts on your question :

Within the Atlassian ecosystem the functionalities/target audience is split between different products.

• Jira Software (JSW): used for development lifecycles (Scrum/Kanban) and bugtracking
  • Jira Service Management (JSM and used to be called JSD): this contians the ITSM processes you would need for a ServiceDesk. You have your Incident, Request Fulfillment, Problem and Change management all based on the ITIL best practice.
  • Jira Work Management (JWM): a less technical product mainly focused on business/back office teams like Marketting/HR/Sales/..

All these tools live within an instance of Jira Cloud (and are licensed/sold seperatly) 

Since you already have Jira Software and Confluence the most logical would be to invest in JSM.

Scaling up to 200+ employees is no issue, I believe their current user tiers go up to 20 or 50.000 for a single instance. The question here would be if all your employees would need to be agents in the servicedesk OR if they are only customers to that service desk.

If they are only customers that would mean they don't need a license for JSM (this works differently from JSW where everyone needs a license). With JSM they can (as a customer) work through a portal which houses your Request Catalogue.

Your Slack flow also doesn't have to go away. Jira has multiple integrations for chat applications and even conversational ticket management (with Halp)

Low coding is also not an issue as most things can be done thru the drag/drop automation system.

Now, since you don't have an IT person and as you state it are in a discovery phase of how you want to set it up, you might benefit from the partner network. (https://partnerdirectory.atlassian.com/

The (local) companies can help you out with figuring out what you need and how to set it up and also provide you with training/support. 

If you want to dive in to it yourself you can also check out the (free or paid) courses on https://university.atlassian.com

Like # people like this
Zoryana Bohutska _SaaSJet_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 26, 2021

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events