Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IS there a way to search for subtasks, of tasks that have been marked as done/completed?

Mark Edgar-Brown July 21, 2022

I am trying to clear up my long standing JiraSM project, to help with reporting etc. I have found quite a few sub tasks, where the task has been marked as complete but the sub task has not. I would like the ability to find these, So I can take the appropriate action. 

TIA

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 21, 2022

Hey @Mark Edgar-Brown 

Unfortunately, it's not possible to achieve that in Jira without using Marketplace apps that extend JQL by certain features. The good thing is that there are appropriate apps available on the Atlassian Marketplace (Marketplace Search "JQL" for Jira Cloud)

Best, Max

Mark Edgar-Brown July 21, 2022

Thank you max, If it becomes a regular thing I will explore it a little further.

Like Max Foerster - K15t likes this
Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 21, 2022

You're welcome, @Mark Edgar-Brown There's one thing you should bookmark if you haven't already. The documentation on JQL is pretty awesome, feels like the best-documented feature in general. So if you're looking for something specific (fields, functions, etc.), head over to What is advanced searching in Jira Cloud?. You can navigate to lists containing all fields, functions, keywords, and operators on the top right.

0 votes
Marlene Kegel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 18, 2022

Hi @Mark Edgar-Brown,

I am Marlene from codefortynine.

Another option would be Dynamic Custom Fields for Jira.

With our app you can create a dynamic field that displays the status of the parent issue, using Jira expressions. We offer a template for that field, so you can also use our app, if you don't have knowledge about Jira expressions.

Once the field is set up, you can easily filter for the generated value with JQL. You can also use it for your dashboard statistics.

Don't hesitate to reach out to us if you have feedback or question about our app.

dynamic-custom-fields_parent-status.png

0 votes
mauricio.groth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 22, 2022

Hi @Mark Edgar-Brown 

As you're on Jira Cloud, the correct answer is to get an app that provides JQL extensions you're looking for.

With standard JQL, you can only get a list of issues and export them to Excel for further processing. This works if you want to do a one-off analysis. If your use case is more dynamic than that, look beyond standard Jira.

Standard JQL doesn't easily allow it, but you can quickly find the results using our professional indexing service JQL Search Extensions

You can use this query to find all your subtasks that aren’t done, with parents that are done.

issue in subtasksOfParentsInQuery("status = done") and status != done

Check out the documentation for more examples.
I hope this helps!
Maurício

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events