IF/Else missing from JSM Automation branch

Lewis Martins December 13, 2021

I am hoping I am missing something obvious here, but I created an automation that uses branching to perform actions on the newly created issue.

condition options.png

So I used the branch 'For most recently created issue'.  I need an If/Else block in order to add the logic necessary for the automation to work, but for some reason (oversight? design?) that option is not available on the branch (but is available when adding a top level component). 

Do I have any other options?

My algorithm is pretty simple, but the missing if/else is making this task a lot more difficult then it should be:

Read Queue via Web Request
If found item in Queue
               create a new issue, use values from body to populate fields
for most recently created issue
               # below line is where I have the problem
               map one of the body fields to the jira issue drop down values.  #example: if body.group = X then issue.group = A, else if body.group = Y then issue.group = B, etc.
               Send web request to delete item from the queue # Right now this is not in the branch, it is separate IF statement that runes the delete if {{createdIssueKey}}, but logically I should move it

The only workaround I can think of is to check body.group for each of the possible values and then create the issue and statically set issue.group.  This is not ideal as there are about 40 possible body.group values so I'd have to recreate the (almost) same create issue component that many times.

1 comment

Charlie Gavey
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 15, 2021

Hi Lewis,

It might be simplest to use two separate automation rules to achieve this.

This thread discusses how to trigger a second rule with the results of a first rule:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Automation-questions/Trigger-a-second-rule-after-first-rule-completes/qaq-p/1851936

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Charlie

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events