Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I wanted to have a Document Management System with Rev Control as part of Jira

Abdul Rahman June 2, 2021

.One thing what i See is we currently use Confluence to store the Documents..Whenever there is a Change required..we go to Jira to create a issue an run through a Workflow..This seems Little bit Difficult and also the Rev sometimes is released before approval in Confluence.

One thing i saw is we have Components in Jira..I am hving an idea to Do that way,so that all issues in the Components with have issue traceability..Still there is No Control on Confluence yet..

Can Anyone propose a Better way.

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 3, 2021

Jira is an issue tracker, not a document management system, it expects to be paired up with a documentation system, not do it itself.  I'm not aware of any apps that would provide such a system within Jira.

The natural paired documentation system is Confluence, but that is not a document repository, it is a wiki.  Your documents are not lumps of data that you have to open in viewers or other programs, they're instantly available as web pages.

Conflluence pages have revision control.  It's simple, but there is a full revision history, it's one of the thinks a wiki does.

I would want to take a step back and look at how you are doing things and look at how you would like to be working.  Then evaluate a Jira/Confluence pair against what you want to be doing.  If it really is siloed working on monolithic docs, then you might be better served by getting a document repository system like Sharepoint.  If you want an open, collaborative and instantly updated set of docs, then maybe Jira/Confluence is the right way.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events