I want anyone to be able to create jira ticket, but I don't want all of them as customers

Inga Gunnarsdóttir July 12, 2021

Hi

We have a situation where we have everyone within our organization created as customers when they send an e-mail to our IT support team and a ticket is created within Jira automatically.

We however also want our 3rd party cooperators to be able to send in an e-mail to our IT support team, and their request to be created as a ticket within Jira, but we do not want the sender to be created as customer in our Jira service portal. - Today only AD users within our organization can send in a Jira request.

How can we allow external parties to create a Jira request within our service portal without having them created as customers in our portal?

Best Regards

- I

3 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 12, 2021

Hi @Inga Gunnarsdóttir and welcome to the community!

Like @Jonas Ekström mentions, each issue requires a reporter.

If you were on server/dc you could configure your mail handler to use a default reporter which means they would be logged under that user.

Sadly on Cloud that's not possible..

I'm currently setting up a similar case myself but had to resort in using an Email app to get this functionality. For example I'm using Email this Issue (JETI) which allow me to configure the email handlers much deeper.

If you were open to investing like that (or start with a trial) you could set it up to have a specific email address set up with a default reporter.

I'm not going in to too much technical specifics yet as it would require some conversion and investment. (but that way you know there are work arounds)

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jonas Ekström
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 12, 2021

Hi Inga,

For a ticket to be created, a reporter is needed. Unless the user already exist, it needs to be created.

So for third parties to contact you they need accounts.
You can either choose to have your agents send invites, or allow for public sign-up.

This means, it's not possible to have the email channel open without accounts being created one way or another.

What's the reason you don't want them to have accounts? Maybe there is something else that can be done to remedy your concerns.

0 votes
Inga Gunnarsdóttir July 12, 2021

Thank you very much for your replies @Jonas Ekström and @Dirk Ronsmans 

I have another question: if we would allow everyone that send us Jira tickets to be created as customers. Could we somehow restrict them from having access to our service portal?

There is - only customers that are also AD users within our organisation would have access to our service portal but not "other" customers? (They would only be allowed to create jira tickets through our IT support e-mail)

Jonas Ekström
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 12, 2021

For that purpose we created two different service desks, one for internal with extra issue types and one external with only only the email option.

Like Inga Gunnarsdóttir likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events