I added Epic Name to my Epic issue type but now its required on my form? Need to remove

Trevor Overstreet January 11, 2023

I have since removed epic name and epic link from the epic issue type and screen and any other issue type but the field is still present on the form and required.

How can I remove from the form but maybe keep under the issue view, if possible?

Screen Shot 2023-01-11 at 3.56.22 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-01-11 at 4.08.13 PM.png

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 11, 2023

Hi @Trevor Overstreet 

This is because Epic Name is a system-level required field when creating an Epic - you must have an Epic Name on all Epics.

So it will appear on the Request Portal regardless.

There might be an alternative, but it depends on what process this Request Type represents - could you give us some more details about how it works, so we can advise further? :)

Ste

Trevor Overstreet January 12, 2023

Hey Stephen and thank you for the reply! 

I have two forms on the portal which are integrated into two request types. The issue type for both of these requests is Epic.

If I'm understanding you correctly, I will have to change the issue type from Epic to another type in order to remove the required Epic Name field from the portal?

Screen Shot 2023-01-12 at 10.24.32 AM.png

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 12, 2023

Hi @Trevor Overstreet 

At this point in time - yes, that is correct.

You could do something with Automation though, if you need it to be an Epic post-creation - it might look something like this:

• Trigger: Issue Created
  • Condition: Issue Fields Condition
    • Field = Request Type
    • Condition = is one of
    • Value = Existing Client Integration Request, New Client Integration Request
  • Action: Edit Issue
    • Issue Type = Epic
    • Epic Name = {{triggerissue.summary}}

---

A few notes on this rule...

• {{triggerissue.summary}} is a smart value, to utilise the Issue's Summary dynamically
  • Editing the Issue Type in the Action does come with a warning - Editing the issue type may put an issue into an inconsistent state with no transitions available. It will only work if the destination issue type uses the same workflow.
    • If changing the Issue Type does not work due to the workflow being different, or another similar reason, there is an alternative...
    • Instead of editing the Issue's Issue Type, you could use the Action Clone Issue to create the Epic - then either close the original request, or leave it open for customer communication.

---

Let us know if this might work for you!

Ste

Trevor Overstreet January 17, 2023

Hey Stephen!

So it worked and the Epic was created using the above rule but I'm seeing an error:

And also the Request Type is now blank and interestingly not an option to even select in the dropdown. Should have 2 options

Screen Shot 2023-01-17 at 2.08.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-01-17 at 2.13.37 PM.png

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 17, 2023

Hi @Trevor Overstreet 

This shouldn't be the case - I tested this prior to recommending it.

Could you clarify...

• Epic Name is still on the Screen (doesn't need to be on the Request Type Form)
  • The Request Types are still setup as before
  • This Epic is being edited, not cloned/moved to another Project

...?

---

It might also be useful to see a screenshot of the Action in your rule, to help clarify if there's any issue there :)

Ste

Trevor Overstreet January 23, 2023

Hey Stephen, sorry for the late reply. If the form request type is anything other than Epic type then the epic name is missing, however, when testing the Epic issue the epic name is on the form even if I try and remove it. The epic name is still on the epic screen configuration.

The request types are setup the same with the same names. Not cloning at all but I am using a template app on the form so when an issue is created then a template applied with subtask. The template is already configured as an Epic so I wouldn't expect this to be an issue since we're trying to automate the issue to change to an epic. 

At this point I'm going to change the template type and request type to not be Epic since I cant get around this Epic name field on the request form and test further

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events