How to update the same Issue in different Jira projects?

Marta Mita March 20, 2023

I have 2 customer portals, which are managed by one team. To avoid jumping between the projects I would like to have all tickets created in project A, will also updated in project B. Fow now I created an automation rule that all tickets created in project A will also be created in portal B with the same context (description and all other parameters).

Now I would like to update only those tickets in portal B and try to find a solution that gives me the possibility to update automatically all parameters in ticket (comment, status, etc.) in project B, when I made some changes in project A. 

How can I achieve it? 

Thank you in advance for any help!

KInd regards,

Marta

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
David Freitez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 20, 2023

Hi @Marta Mita

You would need to find a relation between the issues and use an automation rule that when triggered (you'll have to choose if it is going to be a status or custom field change) will search for the related issue and copy the values.

That's an overview of the rule. Now, what relationship have you configured between the issues in both projects?

David
ServiceRocket

Marta Mita March 20, 2023

Hi David,

Thank you for your answer :-)

I need to have the same issue in 2 different projects and I would like to avoid updating the same issue in two projects, so we're talking about the same issue.

I'm not sure, what you mean by relationship?? I already created automation that clone existing issue in another project. Next step is to know, how I can update the same issue in both projects or clarify, what to do, if I update the same issue in project 1, how to automatically update the same issue in project 2.

So based on your answer I assume, that Jira don't have the function to sync the same issue in different projects? It needs to be done by automation. 

Thank you in advance for your help :-)

Screenshot 2023-03-20 at 19.13.26.png

David Freitez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 20, 2023

Hi @Marta Mita

I meant that there should be a way the two issues, the original and cloned one are related, for example, when you create the clone, use the same automation rule to set an issue relation between them.

I´m attaching images for the rule that clones and also the rule that tries to sync so you can have an example how I achieved the change on the cloned issue:

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

Hopefully this gives you a clear picture of how you can do the syncing.

Please note that there are also plugins for syncing, such as:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1213346/issue-sync-synchronization-for-jira?tab=overview&hosting=cloud

Kindly review the information and let me know if you have further questions.

David
ServiceRocket

Like Matthias Gaiser _K15t_ likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 20, 2023

Just to be clear on one thing - an issue can only belong to one project.  That's the whole point of projects being issue containers, and why David is talking about copies/clones and links.

David Freitez
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 20, 2023

Hi @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- ,

As you said, an issue can only belong to one project, but still an issue can be linked to other issues, even in other projects.

So the linked is used for finding which issue was the original and which was the clone between the two of them.

Regards,
David

Like Marta Mita likes this
1 vote
Matthias Gaiser _K15t_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 21, 2023

Hi @Marta Mita,

as David pointed out, you can achieve such a behavior using Automation. And it's important to store some relation how the two issues are related.

(Side note: The ui action clone already adds the issue link "clones", I wonder why Atlassian chose a different behavior for the automation rule).

If you want to check out other options, I can think of two more:

• Do you actually need to have them all in project A?
    Instead of copying the issues to the project A, you could also work with saved filters to show issues from two projects when working on the issues. The saved filters would basically replace the Queues in JSM. This might complicate a bit the access to other JSM functionality, but might be worth a try for you.
  • Use issue syncing instead of automation
    There are plenty of issue sync apps on Atlassian's Marketplace which were built for purposes like this. So that you only configure what you'd like to synchronize and don't need to worry about how all the rules and relations in the background need to be handled.
    I'm part of the Backbone Issue Sync team, so I refrain from giving recommendations for a specific app. If you want to hear more about ours, feel free to book a demo.

Cheers,
Matthias.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events