Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to stop notifications midway through a ticket cycle

Eric Bergeron July 25, 2022

Rest assured this is not a question of disabling notifications all together. This is about removing notifications to a specific user, in the middle of a ticket cycle. 

Scenario/Needed: 
-On a specific transition change, I would like to send a one-time notification email to a generic email address. 

Solution found: 
-Because Jira seems to be only able to email email addresses (users) that are added to a ticket, I have registered the generic inbox as an Atlassian User and given access accordingly to our service projet. 
-On that specific transition change, representing that the ticket now needs to be handled by Team X, the generic EmailBoxUser is added as a Requested Participant, and then an event is fired to send an email to this EmailBoxUser. 
By-product issue: 
-Even if the EmailBoxUser is removed from the Request Participant field, it continues to receive notifications. 

Needed: To remove those notifications without a human intervention. 

Thanks! 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Rilwan Ahmed
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 25, 2022

Hi @Eric Bergeron ,

To notify only on a specific transition (status change), make use of Automation rule "Send Email". You can give any email address which requires to be notified (no license is counted and no user need to be created). 

i.e. Go to project settings --> automation --> Create Rule

New trigger == Issue transitioned 
Select From and To status, click Save
New action == Send Email.

Eric Bergeron July 26, 2022

Well that was simple!
I initially thought I was limited to the predefined roles in the drop-down list. 

Thanks for your time!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events