How to split a single project into there separate projects and keep all past tickets?

Fahad Akhtar May 10, 2023

Hi,

I have a project in JSM. I need to split that project up into three separate projects, while populating all three with the same tickets from the original project. How would I go about doing this? In other words I have project A with x amount of tickets. I want to split project A into projects A, B, and C. I want to populate the three projects, A, B, and C with the x amount of tickets from the original project A. Please explain in great detail as to how I would do this? Is this even possible? 

Thanks,
Fahad

3 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 10, 2023

The easiest way to do this would be to create two new projects, and move the issues from the original project into each one as appropriate.

Duplicating issues is usually a bad idea, as they will put the users in a place where they don't know which ones they should actually be working on.

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 10, 2023

Hello @Fahad Akhtar 

Can you explain the problem you are trying to solve by having multiples copies of these issues in different projects? Perhaps we can suggest an alternative solution that doesn't involve copying the issues.

0 votes
Kate Pawlak _Appsvio_
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 10, 2023

Hi @Fahad Akhtar ,

1. You have to start with creating projects B and C.
  2. Afterward, go to the Advanced issue search, find issues from project A, click three dots and select Bulk changes. Remember that you have to have global permission to make changes in bulk.
  3. In the Bulk operation, you have to choose Move issues. Select project B and map issue types from project A to project B.
  4. Repeat the same for issues that should be moved from project A to project C.

Remember to have the same configuration in projects A, B, and C to avoid any errors and problems with migrating tickets.

Hope it helps!

~Kate

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 10, 2023

Note this solution suggests moving issues from one project to another. The OP wants to copy all details of all issues into multiple projects.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events