Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to see which objects a Service consists of (Insights)

AV July 26, 2022

I have just started using Insight and have a hard time doing the following:
- I would like to build a CMDB, where I can keep track of all the components that make 'a service'.
Also I would like to see that in a graph, which components are connected to eachother (server to a router and a firewall, the OS residing on the server, our software residing on the machine, the SQL server; basically everything that makes 'the service').

SO far I achieved making object types and objects for the different types of asset. I have a nice list of all the servers we have in place for a specific customer, all the other hardware/components which are needed for the service to work, the OS on the machine, the used Service accounts, pretty much everything. I used linked some objects to eachother, and it gives already a little bit what I'm looking for.

What I don't understand yet on how I can achieve:
I have an auto generated 'Services'  Object Schema. In here,
I have the Actual service I would like to have an overview of, and I assumed I could add all the components that would make the service somehow (picking them from the other objects I already made), and have a nice overview and a nice Graph.
I didn't find how to do this though, or am I doing this wrongly?

1 answer

0 votes
Connor
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 26, 2022

Hi AV, no you're not doing it wrong, it's just that the "Services" object schema is read-only. The objects that schema contains are created when you create services either through your JSM project or within Opsgenie. 

It definitely feels like a gap in Atlassian's implementation of Insight into JSM and all of the integrated functionality provided by the ITSM template. It's great that we can create "Services" that can be integrated into the change management, incident, alerts, on-call, etc. functionality. But we miss out on valuable info because we can't edit those Service objects to reference other Insight objects to provide more details about those Services.

As a workaround I've been creating my own service object which references all of the various components that I've created as other Insight objects. And in my custom service object I reference the related read-only "Service" object. It's not ideal but at least you can see the connection between the "Service" object and the custom service object and all it's related components.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events