Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to restrict customer account creation from an open portal?

Marcus Pierre Levick May 22, 2023

We are trying to setup a Jira Service Management Portal where customers of our product can submit bugs or feedback on the game we are making. 

The end goal would be to have a portal available to anyway where they can create tickets for any of the issue areas they are having. 

The problem we run into is that we would like users to submit tickets without creating an account to the portal. Is that possible to begin with? 

I have Portal Access set to the following: 
image.png

The issue I run into is that any users that create an account on the portal or submit a ticket, that user account then shows up in other non-Jira Service Management projects. 

What I'd like to do is have them be able to make Jira Service Accounts, which only have access to the portal. But I don't want hundreds of customer accounts showing up in the Assignee / Reporter field in other projects that are not related to the Jira Service Management project. 

How do I go about doing this? 

1 answer

0 votes
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 22, 2023

Hi @Marcus Pierre Levick and welcome to the Community!

The problem is not with your Service Management project, but most likely in the configuration of your (probably Jira Software?) projects.

When these are company managed, project permissions are configured through permission schemes. It is very likely that in those permission schemes you will find that a lot of the permissions are open to any logged in user or - even worse - anyone. You will have to restrict access to those projects by eliminating these open permissions from the respective permission schemes. That may be a delicate operation, as doing so will force you to be more explicit about who can access these projects. So I would recommend making an inventory of who should have access to each project and what they should be able to do. As a best practice, you should try to organise your users in groups and grant them appropriate access to projects by linking them to roles in your permission schemes.

Check out this support article to learn more about configuring permission schemes.

Team managed projects don't use permission schemes, but they can be configured to be open / limited / private. If you experience similar behaviour there, it is worth checking the access level of these projects too.

Hope this helps!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events