Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to remove a user from the Assignee, after its deleted.

Anthony Wilson August 21, 2022

Hello I am new to Jira (Service Management).  Hopefully the below describes my issue correctly.

I have deleted a user’s from JSM, but it still shows up on the assignee pulldown list??  How do I remove the deleted user from the list.

On the same vain, how do you hide system users, from the assignee pulldown list too?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 21, 2022

The user will remain displayed until you re-assign the issue to someone else.

The list of people in the assignee list is determined by the permission scheme for the project - there is a permission for "assignable user" that people have to match the rule for to appear in the list.

Anthony Wilson August 23, 2022

Thanks for your advice.  Unfortunately re-assign the issue to someone else won’t work.  As there isn’t any issues assigned to the agent. 🫢

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 23, 2022

If you don't want to reassign it, then just leave it.  It's not doing you any harm, there's no need to blank it out.

Its not that I don't want to reassign, rather there are no issues to be assigned.  Sorry that wasn't clearer in my previous.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 23, 2022

Ah, ok, but that begs the question of why you asked, if there's nothing to be done!

So when you remove (delete) an agent from Jira, it continues to show up in ‘Assignee’ pulldown (forms – Request for change), therefore producing a false positive choice. Does that help make things clearer?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 23, 2022

Not clearer, but it really does help the context for the explanation.

Take the simple case:

• You asked me to use your Jira, so I got an account
  • Someone assigned me an issue
  • I didn't get it done before Ieft
  • You, as a good admin, did a bit of housekeeping, and found an issue that I was assigned to that still needed attention

So, you open up the issue and click on assignee.  Whilst I have left, I am still listed because I am the current assignee, and you might not want to change that at this time. 

I won't be listed as a (potential)  assignee on other issues where I'm not already the assignee, because I'm gone.

Like whitlei_n_Neal likes this

Thank you for your guidance, greatly appreciated.  Your synopsis is largely correct, albeit the agent has never been assigned an issue/request.  It was created and deleted in error.  The deleted assignee pulldown continues to show the deleted agent. 

I noticed it shows up in grey like system assignee (automation-bot@atlassian-demo.invalid. Now I am thinking off it, perhaps Jira keeps deleted agents from an audit perspective?  The reason I see the deleted agent in assignee pulldown is because I’m admin; uses wouldn’t see it.

Anyways, thank you for your patience.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD Trial
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events