How to read custom field value inside an automation?

Marcos Lopes March 26, 2023

Dear Support, 

I tried to read a custom field value on my Jira Service Management Project automation, but it didn't work. 

I tried many forms to read. For example: 
- I used this smart values formats: 
----------> {{issue.[name_of_custom_field]}} 
----------> {{issue.customfield_xxxxx}}
----------> {{issue.customfield_xxxxx.value}}

For debug, I created an advanced branching to copy this value to a variable. I called it "debug" and I created a comment inside a test issue. The result is: 
Debug is       -> the value didn't print in comment.

Please, I need some help here.

Best Regards, 
Marcos Lopes

CleanShot 2023-03-26 at 12.42.58@2x.pngCleanShot 2023-03-26 at 12.42.36@2x.png

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 26, 2023

@Marcos Lopes -

For Cascade Select List field usage, you will need to use the following smart value syntax -

{{issue.<your customfieldname>.value}} - To obtain the parent option value

{{issue.<your customfieldname>.child.value}} - To obtain the child option value

In my example see below -

My custom field is "Country-City"

2023-03-26_13-24-02.png

My automation rule (using log action action for debugging case on reading the field value) -

2023-03-26_13-27-12.png

As you can see if just using {{issue.Country-City}} smart value reference - I can see the return value is - 

My Cascade Field values are: {self=https://viasat.atlassian.net/rest/api/2/customFieldOption/10366, value=USA, id=10366, child={self=https://viasat.atlassian.net/rest/api/2/customFieldOption/10368, value=San Diego, id=10368}} 

However, if I want to access the actual parent and child option values, then I have to use 

{{issue.<your customfieldname>.value}} - To obtain the parent option value

{{issue.<your customfieldname>.child.value}} - To obtain the child option value

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Technology Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 26, 2023

Hi Marcos,

What type of field is it? And how are you trying to use the field - in a email? In formula? Setting a value? 

I'm not trying used it on email. I created a automation to read this value and take a action on it. The type of custom field is Select List (cascading). This custom field concats the first and second choice in a string. 

I had set a configuration for this custom field:CleanShot 2023-03-26 at 12.51.59@2x.png

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events