Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to pull an email address from description and add it as a requestor

Mathew.Teague May 3, 2022

Hi All,

I have got an issue which I am looking to resolve. 

We use AdminByRequest for when someone needs admin access on their computer to install software etc. They submit a request using the software and it sends an email to our Jira helpdesk from the AdminByRequest server. The email comes through from AdminByRequest (noreply@fasttracksoftware.com) and not from the user who requested the session.

However, in the body of the description, we take information such as Name, Email address and the issue they are having.

I would like to take this email address in the description and put it as the reporters address instead so that they can get updates whether they have been allowed the admin session or not. All of the people using the software are already within Jira so it doesn't need to create an account, just to find it.

I have been banging my head up against it so far but there may be a much easier solution to this. I have created an automation and this is how it goes so far

1 - When a ticket is created it checks to see if the reporter is noreply@fasttracksoftware.com
2 - It then checks the description has a "Email:"
3 - It then takes the email address and puts it into a variable
4 - It takes that variable and is trying to put it into the reporter field however it asks for an ID and this is where I am stumped.

Does anyone have any suggestion on how to do the above or perhaps if there is an easier solution?

1 answer

0 votes
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 7, 2022

Hi @Mathew.Teague 

It'd be beneficial to see how you've done this already in Automation so we can both work from the same design.

Screenshots would be beneficial here, or more detail on each step in the rule.

I'm not familiar with AdminByRequest - but the other option is to look at whether the Issue can be created another way - eg. using the REST API rather than by sending an email, where you could possibly link the User ID in AdminByRequest to their ID in Jira.

Ste

Mathew.Teague May 25, 2022

Hi Stephen,

This is the current stack, however it is currently missing the extract being put into the reporter field as its failing currently

ABR1.PNG

All the people who are using AdminByRequest are people already using out Jira ticketing system. I get errors currently when I try to put it in place. Could I perhaps do it using their name instead as that information is being collected when they put in a request.

We want it so that when they enter a request, they can see the trail where an internal IT person looks at the request but also their comments/ managers comments on the software itself.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events