Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to modify approver list

Deepti Gugale January 17, 2023

I can see all the users under Approver drop down and I just want 2 users to have approver access for service ticket, so how can modify approvers list in a service request 

2 answers

0 votes
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 17, 2023

Hi @Deepti Gugale 

Just to confirm...

• You want to allow users to manually pick from 2 Approvers rather than...
  • Send every Approval Request to both users?

This help page details how to pre-set the Approvers - which would remove the need for a requestor to select one of the 2 users. 

Can I clarify the logic for having it be manually selected instead? What's the process for approvals? How many approvers can be selected per request? This will help identify the best possible solution :)

Ste

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 17, 2023

Hi @Deepti Gugale 

The reason. I asked the questions above is this is possible, but only if you're selecting a single user to be the Approver.

In summary, this is how you do it...

• Create a Custom "User Picker (single user)" Field
  • Filter the User Picker for specific users
  • Add this to the Request Type/Workflow

Details below.

---

Custom Field

Create a new Custom Field, which will be used in place of the existing "Approvers" field.

To do this, you'll need to be a Jira Admin and then...

• Go to Settings > Issues
  • Select Custom Fields from the left-hand menu
  • Press Create Custom Field
  • Choose a "User Picker (single user) field"
  • Give it a name, and add it to the relevant Screen for your JSM Project/Issue Type

For this example, I've called the field "Choose Approver"

Once created, you need to filter the field to a limited set of users. To do this...

• Locate your Field in the Field List
  • On the right-hand side, select the breadcrumbs (3-dots icon) > Contexts and default value
  • Select Edit User Filtering near the bottom of the page
  • Check the box "Enable group or project role filtering"
  • Add a Filter - this can either be a Group or a Project Role
  • Press "+Add", then press Save

Note: If you will use a Group/Role which doesn't exist before filtering the field, create this first.

---

Modify JSM Approvals Workflow

Next, go to the Approvals Workflow for your JSM Project - I find it easiest to:

• Go to your Project
  • Select Project Settings > Workflow (from the left-hand menu)
  • Edit the appropriate Workflow, using the pencil icon in the "Actions" column
  • Select the appropriate Status where approvals take place
  • In the pop-up menu, select Edit to modify the Approval settings (the hyperlink, not the button)
  • Next, set...
    • Number of Approvers = Everyone
    • Approver Source = Jira, Choose Approver (i.e the custom field)
    • Set any other relevant rules
  • Publish the updated Workflow

---

Modify JSM Request Type

Finally, we need to edit the Request Type to replace the "Approvers" field with the new Field.

• Go to Project Settings > Request Types (from the left-hand menu)
  • Select the Request Type which requires approvals
  • On the Request Form tab...
    • Remove the Approvers field
    • Add the Choose Approvers field (i.e the custom field)
  • Save the changes

---

Result

• Users should now have the ability to choose a single Approver from a controlled list (i.e not everyone)
  • JSM will use this single user to populate the "Approvals" stage, and their approval/rejection will guide the next Workflow transition

---

Let us know if this works for you! Or, if...

• You have any questions or queries on this approach or...
  • You need a multi-select Approvers field, and want to explore an alternative option

...please reach out at anytime :)

Ste

Like Seerat likes this
Deepti Gugale January 18, 2023

Thanks for the help Stephen Wright _Elabor8_

Let me try this option and will let you know if it works 

My requirement was, I will have different approver for different request type so when users raise type1 request they can select the approver from drop down (or out of 2) , that way they will know whom its pending with 

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 18, 2023

Let us know how it goes!

Ste

Deepti Gugale January 20, 2023

Hi Stephen Wright _Elabor8_

Thanks a lot for details explanation. So as mentioned by you, I went to custom field and it solved the issue (I wanted different users to approve different request type so who is approver should be visible on screen) so with custom field it helped to solve the issue 

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 20, 2023

Awesome! Glad it works for you!

If this answer helped resolve your question, could you accept it? That helps others who find this question in future know this answer can help them too :)

Ste

0 votes
Ankit Srivastava
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 17, 2023

Hi @Deepti Gugale ,

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

If I understand your concern correctly, then please refer the below link to modify the approvers from a request type:

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-service-management-cloud/docs/set-up-a-pre-set-list-of-approvers/#Edit-or-remove-approvers-from-a-request-type

Hope this will help.

Thanks

Deepti Gugale January 17, 2023

Thanks for the response Ankita, I went through this link and I am not getting option to update below list.

• To edit the approvers, change or remove people or groups in the field under Use preset value and hide from portal. 

So if I select 'Use preset value and hide from portal. ' then 'Approver' field disappears from portal

My requirement is 'Approvers' fields should be visible on screen and when user checks the drop down only 2 approver should be visible. Currently I am seeing any random names and list is very huge

Ankit Srivastava
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 17, 2023

Hi @Deepti Gugale ,

As per my knowledge you can't restrict this on service Request Form, i.e. The Approver field having only 2 approver - drop down (Visible to user).

Yes you use preset value (2 approver name), it hide from portal and whenever the user create any ticket from that service desk/request type it should add both the approvers under that ticket.

What I suggest you that you will add the description the Approvers name (so that user will enter only below mentioned name), please refer the screenshot how it will look like:
Approver.png

Hope this will help

Deepti Gugale January 18, 2023

Got it Ankita what you are trying to say, will try this one as well

Thanks for the help

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders