Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to make a custom field mandatory while moving an issue from one project to another?

Mau Jimenez January 5, 2023

Hello, 

Currently, I'm cleaning our Jira instance and I've found something quite peculiar that we don't know if it is a bug or perhaps something that has been set.

While moving an issue from any Service Management project to a particular one called "Ecosystem" we found that there is a mandatory field called "Tipo de solicitud" (Inquiry type) marked as mandatory.

We've tried to modify the field configuration scheme but that custom field is not set as required. Also, we've removed the "required" attribute from all requests types that required it but it still appears on the "migration assistant".

Do you know if it is a bug? or perhaps it could be a setting that we're not seeing? 

2 answers

0 votes
Jan Stähle June 7, 2023

Dear Community,

we do have a controlled workflow, which requests entries from users of certain fields along the process. To achieve this staged request and provision of information we use transition validations of type Field required. This works well - unless people move issues into the project/issue type/process with Move. In this case the required fields can be empty, which is putting quality control at risk. 

We intentionally do not use the field configuration to make fields mandatory, since most information is not available when an issue is created, but gets populated along the workflow. 

What can we do? 

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 5, 2023

This would be done in the field configuration of the target project on the issue level, and in the request definition.  You'll need to check both.

Mau Jimenez January 6, 2023

Hello Nic! Thanks for your quick response!

In regards the field configuration, I can confirm that that field is not marked as required nor mandatory, I even use a different scheme alltogether from a project that I'm certain does not require (nor asks) for that field to be filled.

In regards of the "request definition" I'm not quite sure what are you refering. Do you mind to elaborate?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 6, 2023

Have a look at the configuration of the requests (not issues) in the project you are trying to move the issues into.

Mau Jimenez January 9, 2023

Hello Nic, 

I'm afraid that we've already double checked the project but we're still unable to make it not ask for that field while moving an issue whatsoever.

To summarize what we've tried so far:

1. We've validated custom field's context but there is no specific context for the project at hand.

2. We've confirmed that that field is not marked as required at "Field Configuration" level, neither on the project nor at the default Field Configuration Scheme.

3. We've double checked all requests types and there is non of them who asks for that field as required, neither at issue creation nor at agent view.

4. There is no condition nor validation at any transition at workflow level either for non of the issue types used at the project.

Could that setting be hidden somewhere else? Or perhaps it could be a bug? We would love to hear your opinion in this matter.

Thanks!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 9, 2023

You've said this a couple of times now - "the field is not marked as required in the Field configuration".  First time, it looked like a mistake, but to repeat it seems odd, as the whole point of this is that you should mark it as required.  (Only for the target project).

Once you've done that, try creating an issue in the target project first (you don't need to actually create it, just look to see that the field is displayed as mandatory on create)

Mau Jimenez January 10, 2023

Ouh! I see... I do beg your pardon Nic for the confusion. What we're trying to do is comprehend how to do it for us to be able to undo it. 

It is quite curious tho because all forums and answers we can find refer to both option to make it possible:

1. Make mandatory the custom field for the issue type at "Field Configuration" level.

2. Make mandatory the custom field for the request type at "Customer Layout" level.

We've succesfully replicated the behaviour enabling such options for a completly different project, however, in the project we refer (Ecosistema) there is a field that is being asked as mandatory but it is not marked at required in any of the above options... that makes me think that probably there could be a bug in our instance. 

TL;DR: We messed the way this question was asked. It should have been "How to remove a mandatory custom field that is being asked while moving an issue from one project to another?"

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 10, 2023

Ok, if a field is not marked mandatory, that strongly suggests it is optional in the field configuration.

Which means something else doing it.  What, exactly, is the error message you get if you try to move a single issue?  (Ideally give us plain text so I can run it through a translator)

Mau Jimenez January 10, 2023

There is no error message, the field just appears as something mandatory to be filled while transitioning, however, that field is not set as mandatory nor required in any of the above mentioned.

Captura de pantalla 2023-01-10 a la(s) 15.39.08.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 10, 2023

Mmm, that red marker really does mean it is set required in the field configuration for the target project and issue type.

Could you be looking at the wrong field config?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events