Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to make Jira Service Portal read only for a specific external user?

Alec Fields March 24, 2023

Looking for some help from the community. I have a service portal that is used by an external client. They would like members of their leadership team to be able to view the issues in the portal, but beyond that they don't want leadership to be able to submit their own requests, add comments, etc.

What is the best way to accomplish this without having to use a license? (I considered making a custom filter that leadership could view, but I believe that consumes a license for each user)

Thanks!

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 24, 2023

Hi @Alec Fields 

OOTB, Jira does not support any way for "Customers" to view tickets except those that the "Customer" is a reporter on or a participant. The way to view those tickets is in the right hand corner of the Portal but that is not a very good way for the leadership to view them (can't order them by priority, etc).

So you are correct, you cannot give "Customers" access to a dashboard or a board in Jira without issuing them a Jira Software license. Maybe there are some 3rd Party Apps in the marketplace to do this, I don't know.

Also, one cannot differentiate, in OOTB Jira, one "Customer" from another as far as Portal permissions are concerned. At least not to my knowledge.

HTH,
KGM

Alec Fields March 24, 2023

Thank you for the response! I have been successful in differentiating customers by org, but it sounds like leadership will need a license. I should mention that we are a consulting company, so each of clients have their own portal.

0 votes
Ivan Garcia _Appfire_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 30, 2023

Hi @Alec Fields 

Dashboard Hub for Jira, an app that my company develops, lets you create and share powerful dashboards with ease. One of its key features that might interest you is the ability to grant access to dashboards from the Customer Portal to external users.

If you're curious what an externally shared Dashboard Hub dashboard looks like, here's an ITSM dashboard example for you :)

Customer-Portal-MP.png

Apart from that, Dashboard Hub includes nearly 100 advanced gadgets, pre-defined templates, dynamic filters, 10+ integrations, compatibility with native dashboards, and much more.

Remember that you can try it 30 days for free! Hope it helps,

Iván García, Product Marketing Manager

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events