Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to link existing Projects/Boards to a new JSM project

Joao Borges July 26, 2021

Hi there

I am new to JSM and trying to link an existing board from a different project, to our new JSM service PROJECT.

So the team will create a ticket using the new tool, JSM. JSM project will be linked to an existing project from JIRA Software. (TECHNOLOGY); and as soon as a ticket gets created, it will appear on TECH KANBAN board

Is it possible do link a JSM service to an existing JIRA Software service ?Or I would need to create a brand new board ?

Thanks,

2 answers

1 vote
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 30, 2021

Hi @Joao Borges

what @Melo describes is the way that I would also have recommended intuitively.
It is just what is done in Jira for requirements like the one you discussed here.

Of course, you could bring in Automation (it is free and ready to use in your instance) but it will not address the requirement as you explained. Rather you use this way normally to create a clone of a created issue in a different project - OR - to create a new issue in a different project and link both.

Here are some more information and inspiration:
https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/features/automation

Again, for the exact requirement I'd suggest the implementation of Melo.

Regards,
Daniel

0 votes
Melo
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 26, 2021

Hi Joao,

You can add the new JSM project to your existing board. If you're are familiar with JQL, it can be straightforward.

Here is how to edit a board filter:
https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/configure-filters/#Editing-a-board--x27-s-filter

A caveat, to transition and edit issues from the JSM project, you will need to be a JSM agent.

I hope that helps, let me know if you need help with the filter.

Cheers,

Melo

Joao Borges July 26, 2021

@Melo I do not what to change the current board jql filter.  I want to link the JSM project to this board. So if someone makes a request on JSM, it will appear on JIRA SOFTWARE board

Joao Borges July 29, 2021

Any update on this question ?

Melo
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 29, 2021

Hi Joao,

I don't think there is another way around it. What defines the issues displayed on boards are the filters. I would suggest you do a test on a different board.

On the board, filter add a JQL like "project in (TECHNOLOGY, JSM, "any other project key")" that may help you to understand the concept.

Thanks,

Melo

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events