Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to leverage auto assign automation with out having to manage the user list

Joshua Arfsten September 19, 2022

Hello Team, I'm looking to solve a problem. I want to use Automation to Auto assign issues created to agents. However, I'm having a hard time finding a way to manage the users list without having to go in every day to update the list. Here is the problem statement: How do I auto assign an issue to an agent and while taking to account if they call out or go on vacation without manipulating the user list every day. 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 19, 2022

Hi @Joshua Arfsten 

Out of the box you can't do that. You have to tweak something, whether it's a list or a group.

• You can't either have in automation a predefined list
  • You can work with groups
  • You can work with project roles

In any of the above cases, you have to change one of the above selection. That is out of the box functionality. There could be other apps which could do that, but to be honest I haven't had the need to look for one.

Finally you could look into user entity property. However, someone have to mark the absent user as absent. Do you have any considerations about the last sentence? How do you know which user is on vacation?

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 19, 2022

Soon you would be able to use the on-call schedule in Opsgenie for the auto-assign, this feature is on the schedule to be released in Q1 2023.

Joshua Arfsten September 19, 2022

Hello Mikael, the On-Call schedule would be great to explore, I feel that will have a lot of uses with current Manual Functions. 
@Alx we have a SOP where we "LOG" our Vacation time on a Team Calendar, so i think that would be pretty easy, however I'm pretty sure that Entity property is reserved for admin at the higher level and not  everybody has those perms. I thought it as kinda odd to have the ability to auto assign to users but not an easy way to "exclude" users when they call out. Without these capabilities, it puts a strain / responsibility for a Manager or Team lead to constantly update the "list".

Community Leader
Community Leader
September 19, 2022

@Mikael Sandberg it seems that you will have to tweak the schedule if an urgent day off takes place. But the good thing is that in any other case, you will schedule once and that's it.

@Joshua Arfsten If you are a Project admin, I would suggest for you to experiment with roles. Just grant/revoke role membership and you are done.

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 19, 2022

Correct, but it is a better way of manage the schedule than having to update an automation. And you can use the override option in the scheduler on urgent days off and other things.

Community Leader
Community Leader
September 19, 2022

Yeaaah...but you wouldn't update the automation. Just the project membership, or the users from the group. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events