How to implement a backend for Custom UI Jira app?

Alex Atkinson August 16, 2022

Hello, I am building a jira app following their custom ui tutorial. The app is a simple form for new employees joining our company. However, when I want to submit the form, I'd like to implement a backend that posts the form to the issue and saves all user's data. I am using a full combination of HTML, Javascript, and CSS. Please feel free to share any thoughts or questions about my app. Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 16, 2022

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

So this is a very simple answer - Jira Cloud has a REST API which it expects you to use for exactly this.  REST doesn't care what language you are writing in, just that the calls you make are well-formed.

Docs are at https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/platform/rest/v3/intro/

Very helpful, but I'm unsure how to implement this Information into my code.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 16, 2022

I'm afraid there is not much we can help you with here, it's your code and your design.  I know Javascript can make REST calls, but I don't know if it's the right thing for your application.

Let's say I start fresh using "forge create" in the bash. What would be the next steps after creating a custom-ui to connect a python backend?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events