Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to hide a portal group based on user permissions or simply hide it entirely

Roland August 19, 2020

I want to hide the "Workshop Priority Support" based on user permissions. I want the "General Support" to be public and anyone can access/post an issue.

It seems you can't add user permissions unless you use the Server Edition of Jira Service Desk coupled with "Extension for Jira Service Desk" linked below)

https://deviniti.com/support/addon/server/extension/latest/request-types-visibility/

We specifically want the cloud version as we don't want to have to manage any extra infrastructure so this rules this option out.

Next option is to hide the portal group entirely and make it only accessible via a hidden URL. Eg the URL is linked from our main website and cannot be browsed to from the portal.

Is there any way to achieve this?

I tried making two Jira projects however it seems the same problem occurs where you cannot have an anonymous project which is hidden from the public. It will always show up to all customers.

How can we do this? We need to differentiate two different levels of support and I'm completely stumped how to do so.

2020_08_14_13_51_15_Projects_Jira_Service_Desk.png

1 answer

0 votes
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 21, 2020

Hello Roland,

Thank you for reaching out to Atlassian Community!

When it comes to Request types on a Service Desk project, currently, when a customer has permission on a project, they will be able to view and create tickets on all request types from that project, it's not possible to restrict that.

There is a feature request suggesting the implementation of such ability:

Please, click on vote and watch to receive updates.

"Next option is to hide the portal group entirely and make it only accessible via a hidden URL. Eg the URL is linked from our main website and cannot be browsed to from the portal."

It's not possible to hide the portal. Any customer that access the portal will be able to access the projects that they have access to.

"I tried making two Jira projects however it seems the same problem occurs where you cannot have an anonymous project which is hidden from the public. It will always show up to all customers."

It's possible to have a closed project that allows only people added manually by the admin to view and open tickets. With that said, if someone that is not added to the project access the portal, they won't be able to see the request types.

To make a project restricted, go to Project settings > Customer permissions (Classic) or Project settings > Channels > Customer permissions (Next-gen) and change the option: Who can access the portal and send requests to…? > Customers my team adds to the project.

Also, the add-on that you mentioned also has a version for Cloud. If what I said it's not what you need, maybe you can test the add-on to check if it works for your environment.

If you have any other questions regarding this matter, please let us know.

Regards,
Angélica

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events