Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to grant 'browse projects' permission to all customers, so they can be tagged on any issue?

Daniel Byrne December 17, 2021

Hi all, I've been at this for a few hours now with no luck, hoping someone can provide some insight!

What I'm trying to achieve: Allow agents to tag any customer (licensed and portal only) of our project in a comment on any issue

What I've tried: Adding different individuals and groups to the 'browse projects' permission in the project, including 'Service project customer - portal access' and also granting public access

Outcome: Even with the public access on 'browse projects', customers do not show up in the user picker for agents or admins when we try to @ them on a comment.

Adding a customer as a 'single user' to the 'browse projects' permission does allow us to tag them on any issue, this is the functionality we want for all customers. It seems that if we individually add every customer as a 'single user' to this permission it would work, but this is not feasible. 

Is there a way to add all customers to this permission in a way that lets us tag them on any comment, in the same way we can when we add a single user to the permission? (Again, adding the public to this permission did not achieve this) Thanks in advance for any help!

1 answer

2 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 17, 2021

Unfortunately Customers cannot be tagged via mentions. There is an open request for this. https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDCLOUD-8026 

Daniel Byrne December 17, 2021

Hi @Jack Brickey thanks for the response! I see that request relates to mentioning customers in the customer portal, does this apply to the service desk also?

We are able to tag customers in comments on any issue on our service desk if they are a participant, or if we allow them 'browse projects' permission as a single user. Is this 'single user' option not scalable to cover all customers?

For example, if we add someone as a request participant it is not possible to tag them in a comment until they comment on the ticket, which sometimes we would like to do for ticket visibility if we've not had a response from customer.

I tried to get around this via automation to create a comment under a customers name when they are added as a request participant to an issue, but it does not seem to be possible to comment under another name (excepting with the 'rule actor' in automations, which is not what we would need).

I was hoping there might be a sort of opposite of the permission to add someone as a single user so they can be tagged on any ticket, whereby a user in a specific group (our helpdesk team) can tag any user on a ticket, but this function does not seem to exist unfortunately!

Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 17, 2021

Hi Daniel,

Browse Projects permission and Customer access are mutually exclusive:

• Browse Projects - This is intended for those who access Jira natively (e.g. https://<instance>.atlassian.net/browse/xx-123)
  • Customer - This is intended for portal access (https://<instance>.atlassian.net/servicedesk/customer/portal/n/xx-123)

At present, customers can only gain portal access to issues via two mechanisms:

1. They are explicitly set as the reporter
  2. They are a member of an organization that has been granted share access on that specific issue.

Theoretically, you could do something with organization structures where agents could add customers to organizations and add the organization to the issue to make it work, but it's a fair amount of overhead to manage and opens the door for privacy risk if not managed carefully.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events