Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to find the unused labels in jira and delete it permanently?

Deleted user November 6, 2023

Hello Team,

We are having some unused labels in our production instance. How can we find them and delete them permanently?

Any suggestions will be helpful.

Thanks,

4 answers

3 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 6, 2023

Hi @[deleted] , how do you define "unused"? If a label doesn't exist on any issue then it will not exist. Now if you simply want to remove a label then use JQL to find all issues where the label is used and manually remove from each issue at which point the label will disappear from the drop-down.

1 vote
Oliver Siebenmarck _Polymetis Apps_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 7, 2023

Hi @[deleted] ,

Just to add two notes to the great answers that @Jack Brickey and @Marc Koppelaar already gave:

1. Even when a label is not used on any issue anymore, it might still show up in the suggestions when entering a new label. This is typically a caching issue with the user's browser and can be fixed by emptying the cache.
  2. If you find yourself sifting through labels in Jira often, there are a few apps available on the marketplace to manage labels in Jira. My favorite is Project Labels, but since I work at Polymetis Apps, I am a bit biased. 

Hope that helps!

Best regards,
 Oliver

0 votes
Matt
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 20, 2024

Simply removing the Labels and clearing the cache does not permanently remove the label from the "Recent Labels" suggestions. At least, this is the case in JIRA Cloud.

We added a Label with a spelling error. Shortly after I used Bulk Edit to add a new label with the spelling correction and removed the old label as in @Jack Brickey's suggestion. The label persisted, so I tried clearing the cache and even using an alternative fresh browser (never previously used to log into JIRA) and still the old Label persists.

Any advice?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 20, 2024

Hi @Matt , for sure there is some uncertainty around when the label disappears from the recent list but it "should eventually " disappear. At least it has in the past for me. Here is a supporting doc - how-to-delete-a-label-in-jira 

0 votes
Marc Koppelaar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 6, 2023

Hi @[deleted] 

Welcome to the community

@Jack Brickey is spot on.

A label is removed from your instance if its not used in any issue.

So If you want to remove labels, search for the issues with a certain label and bulk update them to remove that label. Then the label does not exist anymore.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 6, 2023

Yes and in the bulk edit select "change labels" and in the drop-down select "find and remove these".

Like Marc Koppelaar likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events