How to delete the Chinese (Taiwan)in the language setting ?

shuo wang December 27, 2021

Hi, 

when I used the language setting, I found out that there appears two option for Chinese. 1 is Chinese (China), another one is Chinese (Taiwan). This is obviously a very serious political mistake. So how can I delete the Chinese ((Taiwan) choice? 

3 answers

1 vote
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 27, 2021

@shuo wang -

Welcome to the community.  Unfortunately in the CLOUD env, one cannot uninstall a specific language pack from the out of the box default installed languages bundle.

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

1 vote
Mohamed Adel
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 27, 2021

Hi @shuo wang , 

I think you are talking about the installed language under general Configuration. 

unfortunately, for cloud version you can't uninstall one of the installed language. 

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/configure-jira-application-options/#ConfiguringJIRAapplicationoptions-i18nInternationalization 

Thanks

Mohamed Adel

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 27, 2021

Welcome to the Community!

I do not understand the question here.  Many languages have localised or social variations, and when they diverge enough, why would it be wrong for software to offer options that work for the people using it?

What is wrong with offering people in Taiwan the option to use software that works in their language?

William Wilson October 26, 2023

Once again, your response was so narrow minded. 

For instance, here was a request I just received:
"$USER has asked if there is a way to disable the Chinese option in JIRA. He has found some wording errors when the team uses the Chinese option, so he wanted to see if we could disable that?"

The translation is creating communication problems and creating code errors as a result. 

To drive the explanation home, "What is wrong with offering people in Taiwan the option to use software that works in their language?" - Nothing at all. There's nothing wrong with offering people in Taiwan language options. NOBODY said there was. So, you're using a strawman to sidestep and ignore the request for the simple question it was, and in the process you are villainizing the requester as "someone who is against options". 

Nobody is against the option. What we are asking for is the right to turn it off when it creates communication issues. Just like the one I outlined above. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 29, 2023

Yet again, you have not understood the reply.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events