Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create specific Ticket

Mike Button January 31, 2023

I am looking at implementing Time Tracking in our organization. To do so I want to create specific tickets that people can add specific details, like a ticket soley for Time Off, another for Meetings.

But I want these tickets to have a specific number and/or character scheme, for example CSUP-2023-1, or CSUP-12023/CSUP-22023, etc...it can contain letters as well. I want to figure this out so that next year I can reset these time buckets and have them recreated as CSUP-2024-1 or something.

THanks in advance.

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 31, 2023

The issue key cannot be configured that way, Jira will pick the next available number, and you cannot reset that unless the project is deleted. The only part that can be changed is the project key before the numbers.

What you could do is add a component or label to these time tracking tickets, that way you can filter on the component or label.

Thanks Mikael - what do you mean add a component or label?

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 31, 2023

Components allows you to organize your issues in subsections within the project, for example you could have components for services or APIs. Labels can be used in a similar way, just note that you cannot control labels the way you can control components. For example you could have a label named JIra, and another named jira. So if you want more control then components are the way to go because only project admins can create them, anyone can create a label.

Actually, could I actually change the key up front, but keeping the new # sequence as it is.

For example, my project is CSUP and the next ticket # is CSUP-23482, could I create ADMIN-23482, then-ADMIN-23483, etc.... but still all be under my CSUP project?

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 31, 2023

No, the project key can only contain alphanumeric characters, so then-ADMIN would not work.

Like Mike Button likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events