Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create linked issues to a remote Jira instance?

Matthias_Voigt March 19, 2020

Hi,

we are evaluating Jira Service Desk (free plan) for our external customer support. From within Service Desk we would like to create linked issues on our remote Jira Software server in case the development team needs to fix a bug, etc.

I have successfully created an application link between the two instances.

However, in a Service Desk ticket I see no option to create an issue in a remote project. It only lists the projects in Service Desk.

After reading through all the atlassian docs it should be possible but I don't figure out how. 

Could somebody support?

BR,
Matthias

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 20, 2020

Hello @Matthias_Voigt ,

Currently You can manually link issues between remote locations but cannot Create a remote linked issue.

When running Two sites with Service Desk Site as a separate install from the Software instance where you are trying to create the linked issue is referred to as a Federated configuration.  

The Create linked issue option from Jira service desk as covered in this article can only create an issue within the same site.  So, a project on the cloud site cannot create issues in second federated install connected via application links.

We have the following Feature request in place to track interest in expanding this to the application linked instances, please make sure to add a vote to the request to show your interest and help in prioritization efforts as covered in the "Implementation of New Features Policy" 

Regards,
Earl

Matthias_Voigt March 23, 2020

Hello Earl,

thanks for your answer! I followed your link and voted for the suggestion. But since it was opened 2016 and got only 8+1 vote so far I see little hope ;).

Do you know if there is a way to achieve what we need using scripting?

BR,

Matthias

1 vote
Asim K
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 29, 2021

Until this feature is implemented in the Jira application, you can give this automation-based solution a try as a workaround.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-create-and-link-remote-jira-issues-using-automation-1085209850.html

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events