Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create a rule for email request

David Huang May 3, 2021

Hi there,

Hope you could help me re below issue I'm having now.

Story: currently we are using Jira Service management:

users send an email to a dedicated email address and it will generate a ticket in Jira Service Desk. However, In July we will be moving to Jira Service Portal. Users are required to raise tickets in Portal

I know we can disconnect the dedicated email address to stop it but its not ideal.

How can I create a rule/configuration to achieve that 

1. the ticket wont be generated, Or if ticket is generated, it will get closed automatically

2. then a notification is sent out and advise users to use Portal to raise tickets

Hope I have made myself clear, let me know if you have any questions, cheers

Regards,

David

1 answer

0 votes
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 3, 2021

Hi @David Huang,

If you really want to stop using the email address, start communicating to your users today that you will stop using email support. Announce in time that you will be switching to portal support.

Assuming that you no longer want people to send you mails, I would use the out of office / auto reply features of your email tool to automatically reply to emails after the transition to point people to your portal channel. That way you don't need to bother about creating tickets that you won't work on anyway.

If you want a softer approach, you probably already know that tickets created from email will be a specific request type, dedicated to your email channel. That won't change when you start using the JSM portal. If you do not disconnect the email channel, tickets will still be created. If you create a specific issue type (e.g. email) for it with a 2-step workflow (New > closed), you can easily automate that transition to closed.

• Trigger: issue created
  • condition: issuetype = email
  • action: transition issue to Closed
  • additional action: send email

Hope this helps!

David Huang May 3, 2021

Hi Walter,

Thanks for the quick response, I did exactly the same as your 2nd approach, really appreciate your help, have a nice day, cheers

David

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events