Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to copy workflows from one instance to another?

shivani shirguppi June 11, 2024

How to copy workflows from one instance to another?

I want to copy workflows from sandbox to production instance. what are the steps to do that?

3 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Sagi Bracha Salto_io June 13, 2024

You can also use Salto to move workflows from sandbox to production, see a quick demo here. As Susan mentioned above, it also comes with a free 30-day trial. 

0 votes
Answer accepted
Susan Waldrip June 11, 2024

Hi @shivani shirguppi , I'm not sure there's currently a way to copy from sandbox to production instance without an app. I'm using the Revyz Backup and Data Manager for Jira (works with JSM, too) and it works really well, and there are other apps in the Marketplace you might check out. All have a trial. I imagine others will comment if there is a way to do this out-of-the-box. Good luck!

shivani shirguppi June 11, 2024

@Susan Waldrip We are using the same plugin. Can you please help with that?

Susan Waldrip June 12, 2024

Ah! Okay, that's great! Try this:

1. Make a backup (snapshot) of both source (sandbox) and destination (PROD). This is critical because it will determine what will be cloned.

2. In Revyz in the source instance, click Clone & Restore (left side) > Clone (top) > Jira configurations.

3. Choose the latest source snapshot (the one you just made) > Next.

4. Choose the destination instance, then the latest destination snapshot (again, the one you just made) > Compare snapshots.

5. Revyz will identify all the differences (diffs) for you between the two instances. Scroll until you find Workflows and choose the workflow you want to review. The Review dependencies button will become active.

6. Choose the Review dependencies button. These are elements related to the workflow that have also changed that may need to be brought over.

7. Expand the first main item in the list (probably Workflows) until it won't expand anymore, then scroll right (at least, I have to) and choose DIFF VIEW. It'll show you the areas for that element, such as Transitions.

8. For each area that indicates it's been modified, open and expand it to see the exact differences -- they use a simple red-yellow-green color coding to help differentiate what's been removed/doesn't exist, what was changed, and what was added between the two instances. This is what you'll review to determine whether you want to clone that section from source to destination. If you want it, leave it check-marked; if you don't, uncheck the box.

9. Repeat this for each change (unless you know you want all of it, for example if it's brand new to the destination).

10. Once you're done with Transitions (or whatever the area was that you chose), choose the Back button and repeat Steps 8 & 9 for any other areas of Workflows that indicate they've been modified. Then choose the Close button.

11. Assuming you've chosen at least one item to clone, the View Summary button will be active so choose that.

12. This is your final chance to ensure you're cloning everything you need. In my app for Workflows, I see Fields, Statuses, and Workflows as the main elements that will be cloned but yours may be different depending on your setup.

13. Choose the Clone button, then enter your site name as a verification that you've reviewed everything. Revyz will start the clone and show you the status of your job through completion, although I click the Refresh icon (two arrows forming a circle, top right) every so often to ensure it goes from Queued to Running to Success/Partial Success/Failed.When done, Revyz will show you the status of each cloned element and whether or not each was successful.

14. You can choose the Jobs menu option (top) to view job details and investigate anything that was partially successful or failed. You can also download .csv or .pdf of the element configurations for the same purpose.

I hope this helps you in a successful cloning!

Susan

0 votes
Kelsey LaMastres _Appfire_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 26, 2024

Hi @shivani shirguppi

While you're checking out 3rd party apps, take a look at Appfire's Configuration Manager for Jira (CMJ)

Here's a use case page and quick video to show you how it works in Cloud.

As always, please don't hesitate to contact our support team if you have any questions during your trial. We are happy to help!

-Kelsey from Appfire

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events