Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to copy comment when edited in Jira project

Jeroen Gouma April 25, 2023

Hi All,

when a ticket is created in JSM we automatically create a ticket in the proper Jira project and link these together. Any new comment in the Jira project is (with automation rules) copied to the linked JSM ticket.

So far, so good. But when a comment in the Jira project is edited, this is not copied due to the fact it is not a new comment. I see the event "Issue comment edited", but how to find the related comment in the JSM issue what needs to be updated?

Thanks,

Jeroen

2 answers

0 votes
Thibaut Subra _Elements_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 25, 2023

Hello @Jeroen Gouma 

I just read your comment and if you don't mind using a third party app, our Copy & Sync app does exactly what you need.

You can create a recipe to copy and synchronize comments from one project to another so when a comment is updated (or delete) on any project, the comment will be automatically updated on the other side.

Our app has many possibilities for copying and synchronization, you can have a quick overview on our documentation.

Our app is free under 10 users and we have a 30-Day trial for more.

Feel free to take a look and let me know if you have any questions!

Regards

Hi,

this might be a solution. Will have a look into it, it might also save me several automation rules we have running to keep issue's in sync.

Jeroen

Like # people like this
0 votes
Paul Wiggers
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 25, 2023

Hello @Jeroen Gouma 

I think you are looking for the automation trigger "Issue comment edited"

After that, just run the rest of your other automation to copy the comment over to the linked issue.

Is that what you are looking for?

@Paul Wiggers , not exactly. I will try to explain in more detail:

We use automation rule to write a template in the ticket, this is (based on other automation) copied to the linked ticket.

However, when the consultant edits this text, these changes are not copied to the linked ticket. Of course I can, based on the "Issue comment edited" even copy the complete comment again to the linked ticket, but I would prefer to update the original comment.

Otherwise the whole comment is copied every time somebody update's a comment it is a new comment in de JSM ticket.

Example:

Original comment:
--------------------
[  ] Design required?
[  ] Design received
[  ] Downtime required?

After first edit:
------------------
[ N ] Design required?
[  ] Design received
[  ] Downtime required?

Paul Wiggers
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 25, 2023

Ah I see. Unfortunately, there is no direct link between the comments.

I guess you can tweak the automation a bit to edit a comment on a linked issue. Which comment to edit and what you want to edit it with is something you have to decide and use the correct smart values.

Something like this should be a good starting point

Screenshot 2023-04-25 at 14.27.21.png

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events