Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to control the formatting of new object names?

Malinda Davis April 1, 2024

I have a user that is loading info into the Asset database in JSM and he wants to control the names of objects that users are adding to certain object types (all lower case and without certain special characters). I can't seem to find a way to do this...is it possible?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Malinda Davis April 2, 2024

Actually, Diego with Atlassian support gave me the answer and it can be done. You need to go into the configuration options for the name attribute of the object type in question. Under the configuration options for the name attribute, it has a validation tab that allows you to enter a Regular expression. This Regular expression controls what the name can be. 

To require all names of any new objects in that Object type to always be lower case with no spaces, you can use this Regular expression: 

^[a-z]+$

I've tested this and it works. When I tried to make an object that didn't meet the restrictions of the Regular expression, it refused to make it. 

0 votes
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 1, 2024

@Malinda Davis -

Two options are available for your consideration -

1) Business process training for the users who have permission to create objects types in your Assets schema.

2) If you are using automation rule to facilitate the object type creation in your JSM project, then I believe you can utilize toLowerCase() smart issue syntax to convert the value during the object type creation.

In my opinion, it is always better to educate the users on learning the proper rule when creating object type in your schema.

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Technology Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS