How to configure the locked system field "Category"?

Allison Stewart August 5, 2022

Hello,

I am working in a Cloud Team-Managed project and when looking at the List of issues, I see that I can Filter by several fields.  Specifically I am interested in the Category field, as a way of grouping my issues. 

For instance, I was thinking of having Categories for "Holiday Campaign" and "Conference Tasks", etc. rather than using Labels because this Category field seemed more durable.

list filter for category.jpg

However, it looks like this Category field is LOCKED, like a system field, and I can't configure it.  I can't add anything to it.

category field locked.jpg

I have several other Category fields (insight objects, custom field suite, etc.) but I think this particular field is a SYSTEM field that I didn't create.  But I want to use!  

Can anyone help me understand this field and how to configure it so that I can create issue categories for my TeamManaged projects?  I think this would be really helpful for our teams/departments to categorize and organize their issues.

Thank you kindly.

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Allison Stewart January 19, 2023

No response on this so I'm resolving it.

Thuy Pham June 22, 2023

I have the same question, for company-based project on JWM. Thanks for any advice !

1 vote
Andrew Rosca April 5, 2023

I have the same issue and have not been able to find any documentation for how to manage the values for this field.

1 vote
Andy Choi March 1, 2023

Please fix this issue asap

1 vote
Martin Stofko November 20, 2022

I would love to hear an answer to this as well. It seems strange to have a system field that can't have any options configured in it.

1 vote
Christine Corona August 19, 2022

I have the same exact question but for company-managed projects using Jira Work Management templates (specifically the Month-end close template)

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events