Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to automatically retrieve product details based on the serial number in a service request?

Karen Rijnders February 1, 2023

When our users report an issue via a request form, they have to supply us with the serial number. Currently, we are asking them to fill out a lot of other fields as well, country and product category for example. However, based on the serial number this information is already known, only we would have to look into another database to get it. 

Would it be possible to automatically create a link between the serial number in a JIRA ticket and a table/database containing such information? Which medium should I use to create such a connected table/database?

Ideally, I would want to be able to click somewhere in the JIRA ticket, this action should open another tab and take me to the information belonging to the corresponding serial number of the service request. 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 1, 2023

Hi @Karen Rijnders and welcome to the community!

You have a couple options:

1. Upgrade to JSM Premium and leverage Assets - You'd need to establish integration between your source database and Assets, but I've found this to be the cleanest approach when all is said and done due to the tight integration between the assets module and Jira.
  2. Look into a marketplace database connector - There are a few out there, but my experience has been that they are best for smaller data sets.  These will enable fields that connect directly to the source data, but you'll experience performance issues with larger data sets.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events