Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to automatically populate issue fields based on issue's description

Deleted user February 2, 2023

Hi everyone,

I want to populate the 'Department' drop-down field (which has specific values, like IT, Sales, etc) based on the issue description. 

Example -

Issue Description:
Employee Name: FirstName LastName - ‎ Employee Location: USA - ‎ Employee Department: Marketing - ‎ Employee Title: Graphic Designer - ‎ ‎Employee Personal Email: testuser@gmail.com - Employee Manager: FirstName LastName 

Automation grabs 'Marketing' from the issue description and puts it into the 'Department' field

Please be aware, Department is a drop-down field

1 answer

1 vote
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 3, 2023

Hello @[deleted] 

Are you trying to automatically populate the fields in the submission form or after the issue has been created?

What text in the Description is going to be consistent? Will there "Employee Department:" always appear before the text you want to capture? Will the text you want to capture always be followed by "-"? Will the text that you want to capture every have spaces in it or dashes?

If you want to update the drop down field after the issue is created, you could use an Automation Rule to evaluate the Description field and extract the sought after text using pattern matching.

https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/jira-smart-values-text-fields/#match--

Once you have the extracted text you can use that to set the drop down list field. I know you could do it by using a CONDITION If/Else block to evaluate the captured text and using an ACTION: Edit Issue to set the drop down field to the correct corresponding value. I haven't worked out if you can use the text directly to drop down field.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events