Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to automate an email with a list of all comments on an issue

Michael Strong November 22, 2022

A lot of our design team need to "book out" specific issues as they prefer to work offline rather than online, so we often use a pre-made automation system that allows them to receive an email with that issues:

• Description
  • Attachments (Links)
  • Details (Name of Reporter, date and time created etc.)
  • And most importantly, a list of all comments sent into the issue. 

The problem is that when using {{issue.comments}}, the output of the comments is as below:

email issue.png

All I know regarding this issue is that the extra detail is due to how Jira handles signatures using PNGs and so forth. Using {{issue.comments.html}} makes it return blank. Was wondering if there's another way to have the comments come out in a more clean fashion, whilst also including: the commenter's name, time the comment was posted, and any other information.

2 answers

2 votes
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 22, 2022

@Michael Strong -

Take a look at the following smart value syntax regarding to issue comments (this is also documented in the on-line documentation - https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/jira-smart-values-issues/) - Just look for {{issue.comment}}

I have used it in Automation for Jira rule using the Send Email action

2022-11-22_10-09-20.png

This is what the email notification that I obtained based on the automation rule testing -

email output.png

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Michael Strong November 23, 2022

I've used this method before, but this is the output. Still with that annoying HTML syntax on issues with more email comments from customers:

email issue 2.png

From my research, I learned that using ".html" at the end of some syntax could work (my automation uses {{issue.description.html}} successfully,) but it doesn't work for comments. Is there any other method we're missing?

0 votes
Boris Berenberg - Modus Create November 22, 2022

Notification Assistant for Jira supports up to the last 10 comments in a template if you want something a bit better looking:

Google Chrome 2022-11-22 at 16.00.55.png

Michael Strong November 23, 2022

I'm not in the market for another application at the moment sadly. Thank you for bringing this to my attention through.

Shan McQuown August 29, 2023

@Boris Berenberg - Modus Create This template is perfect for what I am looking for, but I can't seem to figure out how you built it. Is there anyway you can share it with me please? 

Boris Berenberg - Modus Create August 30, 2023

This is the default Comment template in Notification Assistant for Jira with the last 10 comments enabled. Feel free to contact our support team (https://atlasauthority.atlassian.net/servicedesk/customer/portal/1/group/1/create/1) if you need help. 

Shan McQuown August 30, 2023

@Boris Berenberg - Modus Create I reached out to support. I do not have the option to enable last 10 comments in advanced settings and my default template doesn't look nearly as good as yours when previewed. Capture.JPG

Boris Berenberg - Modus Create August 31, 2023

Hi Shan,

Actually I realized that I said it wrong. That screenshot was a customized version of the Single Issue Template and I added the Last Commented field to it.

Do you have Issue Commented as a trigger in your notification? I believe this is required to get the 10 comment option to appear. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events