Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to autofill required fields?

Lizzy Li
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 27, 2022

In my company, multiple teams use the same JIRA project, so we use a combination of different required fields to separate our tickets into the appropriate backlog. 

Is there a way so that when I create a subtask, it autofills the required fields with the same field values as the parent ticket? Similarly, when I click to create a ticket under an epic, how can I have that ticket autofill the required fields with the same field values from the parent epic? 

3 answers

0 votes
Lizzy Li
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 28, 2022

Thanks @Fabian Lim  and @Jack Brickey  for your suggestions! Unfortunately this doesn't seem to work for my use case.

The examples you've provided seem to follow: Create subtask. Then Automation runs to copy fields from Parent to Subtask. 

What I'm hoping is possible is: if JIRA knows I'm creating a subtask, because I've clicked "Create Subtask" on a ticket, or because I've clicked the + button to create a new ticket under an epic, I want the required fields to already be filled out with the same values as the parent ticket. If they are not filled out, I cannot actually create my ticket. So Automation that runs after the subtask/child ticket is created doesn't work in this scenario.

Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 28, 2022

Out of the box is not possible.  You will have to look into thr marketplace and hopefully there is a plugin that does it for you. 

Regards

0 votes
Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 27, 2022

Hi @Lizzy Li

Here is a quick tutorial: https://youtu.be/DcPYrw-Puus

Use the second rule as an example to copy fields from the parent to the subtasks.

For the epic child relationship you may have to use a separate related condition.

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 27, 2022

If filling in the fields after the issue is created consider Automation. There are a number of examples in the Community of similar automation rules if this would work for you. It is pretty straightforward.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events