Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to auto resolve previously created ticket using automation?

Simon Proudfoot November 9, 2021

I am receiving two emails that I am using Jira Automation to create a ticket from. The first email, lets me know that there is a data issue, and a Jira ticket is created to document the event. I then receive a second email, letting me know the event has been resolved, and I'd like to have the automation rule update the status of the first ticket, but right now the rule I have is creating an entirely new issue rather than closing out the initial issue. 

Rule 1 creates a ticket #XYZ when the vendor emails about issue #XYZ

Rule1.PNG

Rule 2 is meant to trigger the resolution of ticket #XYZ when the vendor emails that the initial issue #XYZ has been resolved

Rule2.PNG

1 answer

1 vote
Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 9, 2021

Hi @Simon Proudfoot

Welcome to the community.  Please share your rules in details and we can take a look at how we can assist. (screenshots would be ideal).

Regards

Simon Proudfoot November 9, 2021

@Fabian Lim I've added screenshots.

Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 10, 2021

Hi @Simon Proudfoot

You may have to review the email ticket creation vs comments configuration first. Look at the jira handlers section. When a user replies to an email that has the issue key it adds it as a comment. Otherwise it creates a new ticket.

Link: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/create-issues-and-comments-from-email/

Also check whether rule 2 has executed in the audit log.

Mark Chaimungkalanont
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 11, 2021

Hey there Simon,

To backup Fabian here, the first step is to ensure that your email handler adds a comment rather than creates a new issue.

Automation will only work on issue events rather than emails directly.

Once you've got your email handler adding comments you can set up your rule to be:

1. Trigger on Comment
  2. Condition: Advanced condition
    1. {{issue.comment.body}}
    2. CONTAINS
    3. Text you want
  3. Action: Transition issue to done
Like Fabian Lim likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events