Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to auto assign ticket to reporter if Assignee is set to Automatic during creation?

Kitty Lee November 8, 2023

First off, I've turned off Unassigned in my project as tickets can get lost.

Issue: Whenever someone creates a ticket, it gets automatically assigned to me if they didn't specify who the assignee is as I'm the Project Lead. I tried using Automation to reassign the ticket to the reporter if it's not specified, but it doesn't trigger it because we don't allow unassigned. There's no criteria that says "Automatic" either, so I'm at a loss on what to do other than allowing "Unassigned".
jira.png

I only want the ticket to get assigned to the reporter if one is not specified. 

2 answers

0 votes
Esteban Diaz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 9, 2023

@Kitty Lee ...

I understand....

In this case your automation seem to almos right ... but it is not been executed 'cos you've got an IF sentence that checks if the isssue is not assigned .... try to remove that part .... so the issue will be created and assigned to you by default, and then the automation will re-assign the issue to the reporter...

assisgn1.PNG

Cheers, 

Esteban

Kitty Lee November 9, 2023

I will try that and see how it goes. Will report back on my next sprint planning meeting!

Like Esteban Diaz likes this
Kitty Lee November 10, 2023

So the problem with removing that part is the fact that it'll reassign the issue to the reporter during creation. I only want that to happen if the reporter didn't assign it to anyone because a lead can create issues for others. I think the only way to resolve this is to turn ON Allow Unassigned 

0 votes
Esteban Diaz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 8, 2023

Hi @Kitty Lee , 

I guess that you first  need to disable assigning issues to the project lead in your project settings.

assisgn1.PNG

After this, your automation should work.

Cheers, 

Esteban

Kitty Lee November 8, 2023

Yea, that's what I trying to avoid. Because I have "Allow Unassigned" turned OFF. It defaults to Project Lead and no other option.  I was wondering if there was another way aside from turning that option on. Thanks.

jira2.png

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events