Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to assign the current user when closing an unassigned issue

Andy Stutzmann September 28, 2020

Some of our workes don't take ownership of an issue when closing it.

I'd like to add an automation, that if the issue is unassigned and the issue is being closed, then the ownership automatically goes to the current user.

I made it so far, that I can assign it to a specific user (e.g. always to me, even if Peter closes the issue), but it has to be the user closing the issue who gets assigned.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Patricia Francezi
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 28, 2020

@Andy Stutzmann 

If youre using a classic project, than you can do this using post function in the closing transition. 

If you are youre using next-gen (seems so), you need to try via Project automation. 

Just let me know what youre using as template to help you to proceed.

Andy Stutzmann September 28, 2020

We are using the next-gen version.

But with your reply you already helped me :)
I was trying to add a rule in "Project settings" -> "Automation" instead of "Project automation"

Made a new rule and works perfectly, thanks!

1 vote
Bastian Stehmann
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 28, 2020

Hi @Andy Stutzmann ,

are you on a classic project or a next gen project?

In a classic project, you can do this be adding a post-functions that assigns the current user to the workflow transition that is used for closing the issue.

In a next-gen project, you'll have to do this with a rule, where you can also choose current user as assignee.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events