Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to allow anyone external with the Card Number to comment on a card - via email.

Nick Green May 31, 2021

Hi!

We have migrated our ticketing system onto Service Desk (JSM), and it is taking a bit of getting used to with the permission setup.

Currently when a card is created, the reporter and any of the request participants can reply to the card via email and their emailed reply is added as a comment.

How would I be able to allow anyone who is not in the request participants to reply to the card via email and have that reply added as a comment, as long as they have the card number in the subject of their reply?

Note:

These are all people outside of our company, so they have no application access. We also do not use the portal.

Example:

We have a card: IM-1234 Some Issue Happened

Within the card we have a reporter, and then a few request participants, and some of the request participants are Mail Distribution Lists.

Scenario A:

When the request participants who are not in the MDLs reply to the card via email including IM-1234 in the subject, the email is successfully added as a comment to the card. - No problem.

Scenario B:

Someone who is in one of the MDLs replies to the card via email, including the card number IM-1234 in the subject, instead of the email reply adding a comment to the card, it then opens a separate card. - Problem. Since the user is in an MDL and not listed as a request participant, JSM treats the reply as a separate issue.

I have set the Customer Permissions to Customers can search for other customers within their organizations, or manually enter the email address of other customers within their project - yet this does not solve the problem.

Service project access is set to Anyone on the web.

It only works if I add the customer to JSM as a user with application access, which is not feasible, as it could be literally anyone under the sun who needs to reply.

Any help/advice here would be appreciated.

BR,
Nick

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nick Green July 2, 2021

It appears that this is not possible. I have not been able to find a solution.

0 votes
Andy April 14, 2022

I believe you can do this in the permission scheme, and setting the Add Comments permission to Group > Public.  Not tried it myself but that seems like it would solve your scenario.

Nick Green April 14, 2022

Hey Andy,

Thanks for taking the time to comment here. Much appreciated.

JSM freaks out when you do things like this, I've not tried for comments only, but I have on other permissions, and then JSM complains and asks you to fix it.

No worries though, as we are trying to work within the methodologies of JSM, and also trying to get our customers used to it.

Cheerio,
Nick

0 votes
Ariel Kauan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 31, 2021

I passed the reference on Cloud.
Anyway, good luck. fingers crossed!

0 votes
Ariel Kauan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 31, 2021

Hi!

I know of no other way, without the user being a participant.
I believe that only by changing the configuration of the project / portal itself.

It can be in:
Project> Project Settings> Client Permissions>
Service project access

Nick Green May 31, 2021

Hiya Ariel,

Thanks for taking the time to add a suggestion. Sadly, I don't have an option named Service project access nor an option called Client Permissions. Maybe it's not a cloud option? I did a quick search, and no results pop up.

I am suspecting though that there isn't an available way of doing this, but I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed for a while longer. :)

Keep well,
Nick

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events