How to Trigger an automation rule using inputs from a cascading list selector

Marc Seaberg December 4, 2019

I'm trying to create a JIRA Automation rule that triggers a set of actions, based upon what the user puts into a custom field, which uses the Cascading list selector option. When I try to do this, the custom field I created doesn't show up in the list of available options to use as the trigger in the JIRA automation rule.

1 answer

0 votes
Krister Broman _Advania_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 5, 2019

No, if you are trying to run the "Field Value changed" that is not supported i believe. I verified and cannot use such fields in my systems either. 

What you should be able to do as a workaround though is to use the "Issue updated" or "issue created" trigger instead and then use IF statement to limit things to what you want it to do. 

I got lazy and found these two previous questions which should point you in the correct direction:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Marketplace-Apps-Integrations/How-can-I-copy-a-cascading-select-value-with-Automation-for-JIRA/qaq-p/585395

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Service-Desk-questions/How-do-I-set-a-Cascading-Field-using-Automation-in-Jira-Service/qaq-p/903653

Marc Seaberg December 5, 2019

Thanks, Krister. What I'm actually trying to do is a little different than what is showing in the other links you sent. I'm using the "Issue Created" trigger. And then setting an IF statement. I'm trying to have the IF statement include a condition where IF <Value of Cascading Child from custom field> is X, then y. 

However, I'm not given the option of using my custom field (with the cascading value) for the condition.

I emailed the Automation for JIRA team, and received this suggestion (which I haven't yet tried but will do so):

as a workaround, you can use the Advanced Compare Condition with the code below, for example:

{{issue.customfield_11900.child.value}}

You'll have to adapt this to your use case, replacing the "11900" by your custom field's ID.

Like # people like this
Krister Broman _Advania_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 6, 2019

Yep should work, Automation is good in that you can handle looking at only the child value through the advanced compare. That function is a pro function though. 

An option if you are only on the free server version AND If the child value is not reused meaning that one child is specific to one parent you can also use the JQL statement by using the advance search cascadeOption 

Example in my cascading selection field "TestCascading"

TestCascading in cascadeOption("ABCDE","DE45")

This will show only issues that are in parent "ABCDE" and child "DE45"

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events