Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Show Form Contents in Email?

luan_dao May 18, 2023

Hello, I'm trying to show form contents in an email that are automatically sent to customers (ex. "Just confirming that we got your request"). I've tried using iframe to display the contents of the form/webpage however, it's not working. Any suggestions or perhaps any widgets I should look at? 

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 19, 2023

Hi Luan - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

You can use some smart values/code, but it depends on the type of fields being used. Can you provide more information for the types of fields you want to include? 

luan_dao May 23, 2023

Hi, I'm trying to add fields such as email address and phone number (custom field) as smart values/code. However, they're not showing up when I do "insert variable" in the email templates. I've also tried linking them to Jira fields and also not showing as well. 

Erki Tammik
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 23, 2023

@luan_dao 

I had to work on this for another project. I needed to display all form fields in the email for approvers so that they could approve directly from the email.

You could create an automation and add public comment to ticket using smart values.
This way, the "Request created" and "Public comment added" notifications are nicely batched together in a single email. You can even add the comment briefly and delete it with automation, notifications worked still fine.

And all of this because you can't use custom smart values in customer notifications.

Like luan_dao likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 23, 2023

@luan_dao can you share the rule that you have so far? If you have created custom fields in Jira and are mapping the form field to the Jira field, you should be able to put the smart values for those fields in the email that you are sending. 

Like luan_dao likes this
luan_dao May 25, 2023

Update:

So far the automation approach is working to a decent degree. My current rule is: run when issue is created--> then send email (name, email, ticket URL using smart values). I just need the phone number field to show (custom field). Any ideas on this one? 

Erki Tammik
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 25, 2023

@luan_dao 

It should work with following smartvalue, with your custom field ID.

{{issue.customfield_11000}}

You need to get "Phone number" field ID and replace it in the smartvalue above (replace 11000 with your custom field ID).

How to find any custom field's IDs <- I usually use URL method to get the custom field ID.

Like luan_dao likes this
2 votes
Wayne Wymore May 18, 2023

Forms Automation: Access form fields with smart values (smartvalues)
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDCLOUD-10697

Update 9 Mar 2023

Unfortunately, this work is still not on our short-term roadmap. 

Be aware that the work we are doing on producing a public API for forms will include an end point to /getSimplifiedAnswers. This should return a flat array of form responses, which will be easier to work with in Automation for Jia. It's not a perfect solution, but ProForma DC/Server customers have found it useful.

In the meantime, the documentation for Server/DC under the heading Access the contents of ProForma Forms, relating to entity properties also applies to cloud; however, be aware accessing form data this way is not officially supported.

The API ticket to follow / vote for is here https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDCLOUD-10671

Thank you,

Simon - Product Manager Forms

Wayne Wymore May 18, 2023

Ps.  There is more discussion at the link above, the included "Update 9 Mar 2023" is the latest entry.

1 vote
Erki Tammik
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 18, 2023

@luan_dao 

It depends on what you need to add in the notification email.

In Project Settings -> Customer Notifications, you can edit the "Request created" template and add more variables in the confirmation email.

It seems that custom fields are not supported, so it might not be a complete solution for your problem.

There is a feature request to enable adding custom field variables in customer notifications.
Link to feature request: Ability To Add Custom Field Values to Customer Notifications

0 votes
luan_dao May 25, 2023

Update #2: 

Hello, I got everything working now! The automation approach with smart values/field IDs was what I think worked best for me. To get the name/email/phone number to show from forms, field IDs in smart values I think was the way to go. There's probably an easier way but I wanted to ensure external users information could also be seen in the form. Thank you so much for the help Erki and John! @Erki Tammik  @John Funk 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 25, 2023

Awesome! Glad you got it working!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events