Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does one change the priority of an incident based on a Urgency/Impact table?

David Edwards May 23, 2023

I have created a Priority Triage in the workflow after an incident has been raised with 4 transitions (used the help notes). Now the notes say that I should use automation, but I get into branching and advanced branching and Jira Smart values. Quite frustrating that something this standard in the ITSM world needs to be so complicated to implement.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Tessa Tuteleers
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 23, 2023

Hi @David Edwards , 

it does seem like you are going a bit too far into it for such a request. 

Your automation rule should simply use some elifs. 

For the rule:

1. start with a "field value changed" trigger on your urgency and impact fields. 
  2. Add a condition -> if / else block
    1. add 2 conditions and check "all conditions match"
    2. use 2 issue field conditions and match your urgency and impact
    3. add an action "edit issue" and set the respective priority
  3. Repeat for all your different priorities. 

It should look something like this: 

Screenshot 2023-05-23 at 10.56.31.png

Hope this helps!

- Tessa

David Edwards May 25, 2023

Thanks Tessa, it helps a little to understand how it can be done. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work. It appears to take the first condition and set the priority to Critical, even though the Urgency is another state. 

Question? Why did you choose "is one of" and not choose "equal". 

Following your recommendation, (hope I am correct), I will need to do this for every sector of my Priority Table and make a long set of rules to match - so in my table has an Impact of Critical with a Urgency of Low = Medium (an impossible scenario really, but it is in the table like that). then I will need to make rules for all scenarios of the table. Correct?

David Edwards May 25, 2023

Do these automations need to be within the workflow? Or will they work anyway?

David Edwards May 30, 2023

Can anyone help me here. I have created what was suggested but still do not see it working. (Yes it is published). 

David Edwards May 30, 2023

I have figured it out !!!!

Like Tessa Tuteleers likes this
Tessa Tuteleers
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 30, 2023

Hi @David Edwards , 

I'm late to the party I see, apologies! glad you worked it out! 

Can you share what you ran into and how you solved it for future readers? 

To answer the questions: 

- Yes, you would have to make an if block in the same rule for every possible combination (you mention that it is an impossible scenario, but often Impact and severity is used, and then a global impact with minimal severity, or indivudual impact with blocking severity is possible).

- "One of" instead of "equal" makes it possible to add multiple values, but if you use only 1 value, equal works fine too

- You don't need to add something in your workflows, it all depends on your trigger. 

Cheers! 

- Tessa

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events