Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does internal comments notifications work in JSM - non-agents get these sent in emails

Jay Keck June 9, 2021

I'm having a problem with a servicedesk (JSM) project where non-agents are getting internal comments sent to them in notification emails.

I thought internal comments were only for agents, how is it that non-agents are getting emails when one is added by an agent?

In my case our users all have full jira software licenses, but access our servicedesks through the portal view, is the fact that they have jira software licenses somehow giving them extra visbility? In the case that I'm investigating the user was on the issue as an approver, and also in the request participants list. Is there some specific settings I need to have in place in either project permissions or notification scheme to prevent non-agents from getting email notifications when internal comments are added by agents?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 9, 2021

If you have any collaborators that have jira software licenses then they will also receive internal comments if they are watching an issue. However customers should never see internal comments. 

Jay Keck June 9, 2021

Thanks Jack. So an agent(or someone with update rights on ticket)  would have to explicitly go in and add them as a watcher, and this would be different than being in the Request Participant list, correct? So it sounds like a procedural fix would be to have agents not add people to watchers list that they don't want to see internal comments?

Regards,

Jay

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 9, 2021

Well if you give browse permission to any internal licensed users then they could easily go in and find tickets and set themselves as a watcher as well. It all comes down to how you have permissions set in conjunction with notifications.

Jay Keck June 9, 2021

Yes, I already have browse turned off except for servicedesk agent role, which creates another problem with populating user pick fields. It's tough to be aqble to truly mask these internal comments to just agents it seems without restricting other rights as well. Thanks for the help on this.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 9, 2021

Yes but keep in mind if you give someone browse permissions then they will see all the comments regardless of whether they receive the notification of the comment. So the bottom line is if you don’t want someone to be able to see the comments then don’t give them browse issue permissions. You can’t separate and hide comments from the actual issue detail view.

Nicole Cloutier January 13, 2023

@Jack Brickey - If I set someone as a "request participant" is it true that they cannot see or read internal comments? 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 13, 2023

Correct - assuming that they are a Customer and not licensed to access the application. In some JSM projects customers our internal and may be licensed within the year application. Further they may have browse access to that project in which case they could see internal comments. However, I suspect in your case this is external customers were talking about.

Thanks for the prompt reply @Jack Brickey

Yes, in this case it's a customer that we want to see updates - but not view our internal discussion. If we want her to see updates (she wasn't the reporter, I was) then giving her "request participant" access would simply allow her to see anything we write into the 'Reply To Customer' field, correct?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 13, 2023

Correct. They will also be able to find in the portal if they search under the request button. 

@Jack Brickey awesome, thanks! 

Like Jack Brickey likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events