Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you get notified when a customer escalates a request?

Connor Jones October 16, 2020

So we obviously get notified when a customer creates a ticket and comments on it. But if they raise it as a normal request, then later on decide to escalate it, we don't get an email for that specific action. Is there a way of being notified for an escalation?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Callum Carlile _Automation Consultants_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 16, 2020

Hi @Connor Jones,

You can edit the 'Fire a generic event' post function on the workflow's escalation transition.

You can add one of the system events to this post function, which will tie into your project's notification scheme, or you can create a custom event, which will also be tied into your notification scheme. In the notification scheme, you define who receives the emails for the event

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 16, 2020

That PF should be there by default.

you could also consider setting up a unique Automation for this if you wish to notify a specific person or persons and include a custom notification.

1 vote
Connor Jones October 19, 2020

Hi @Callum Carlile _Automation Consultants_ , thanks for the help. I initially wanted to setup a new event (which I called "escalate event"), that I then linked to a notification scheme and updated the workflow Service Request Fulfilment workflow for Jira Service Desk. I then edited the last step from fire generic event to my escalate event, but for some reason was not getting the notifications. I checked the notification helper and it said I should have received the escalate transition, but really didnt.

I then decided to edit the "Fire Generic event" as you put in your answer above and it worked fine. By default, the generic event only notifies the reporters and watchers which is why I wasnt getting any emails to start with, so I added the admin group to that notification. The reason I didn't want to use that generic event is so I don't get too many emails, but hopefully I will be able to filter those out. 

@Jack Brickey I did try your automation method too, but was unsuccessful. When I came to choosing a trigger, there was no option for escalation. Not sure if there is a way of adding custom triggers with escalate being one of them?

Callum Carlile _Automation Consultants_
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 19, 2020

@Connor Jones If you wanted to go down the automation route, you would need to consider what actually changes when the issue is 'escalated'.

If an issue becomes 'escalated' when the customer transitions the issue to an 'Escalated' status, you would use the 'Issue Transition' trigger for the automation rule and set the 'To status' to be the escalated status. You would then set the rule's action to be 'Send email', where you would select the user/users/user in a Jira field/role/group who you would like to receive this email. You could also add smart values to the email body which can pull comment info into the email

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 20, 2020

You would need an escalate transition and appropriate status in your workflow.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events