Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you create a calculated field that concatenates 3 previous fields in the same form

Joe Bedolla May 18, 2022

I have a form that needs to generate a field that is the result of three previous dropdown fields.  This calculated field needs to hold several values.  For example: 

accessFld is a result of prodFld + "-" + platformFld  + "-" + accessTypeFld

The result would be something like:

marketing-dev-devops

sales-pro-audit

sales-pro-manager

How would you trigger automation to repeat the input of the three fields?  Is such a thing possible in Jira?  Otherwise how would you do something similar in the Jira world?  

1 answer

1 vote
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 18, 2022

@Joe Bedolla -

Welcome to the community.  There are two options that you can look into for your ask -

1) Create a scripted custom field by using Script Runner for Jira 3rd party add-on (This is an excellent paid add-on that should be used in any Jira/JSM implementation in my experience/option) - https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/6820/scriptrunner-for-jira?tab=overview&hosting=cloud

2) Using Automation for Jira (an out of the box component in Cloud env for Jira/JSM) to create rule which triggered from Issue Updated event to execute an edit issue action to update your custom field with values from your other fields.

One thing that you need to be aware is what is the data type associated with your three other fields?  If you just want to concatenate everything as a single string (text), then it should be straight forward. 

Lastly, since the field is a calculated field, then it should only be added to your project's View Issue screen (Screen Configuration Scheme) because it is sourced from your other fields.  Your users (agents) should not be able to edit this field.

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Joe Bedolla May 18, 2022

I'm using Jira Cloud so Script Runner is not an option. Is it possible to trigger the fields to refresh from within the form?  I need for the user to be able to add several values to the calculated field.  How would you be able to trigger such a thing?

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 18, 2022

@Joe Bedolla -

ScriptRunner for Jira is available for Cloud.  However, if cost is an issue.  You will need to look into my 2nd recommendation (mentioned in my original suggestion) on using Automation for Jira to establish rules.

Here is a link to Automation for Jira (it is build into the Cloud env from Atlassian) -

https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/jira-cloud-automation/

Best, Joseph

Joe Bedolla May 18, 2022

Thanks Joseph!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events