Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

How do i import all the users from Atlassian Access into Insight ?

I want to be able to search what assets within the organisation are assigned to each user and it seems this basic functionality is baffling me. I am assuming that there should be a feed from Atlassian Access into Insight and when an asset is assigned to a user you can search the user (For a new starter or leavers process) to see what assets they have outstanding. Please can somebody help with this, i am sure i am being silly??

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg Community Leader Oct 20, 2021

You cannot directly import users from Atlassian Access into Insight, but what you can do is set the attribute to be of the type User, that will allow you to associate the Atlassian ID with an asset so you can search assets based on the user.

Is there any instructions on how to do this ?

Mikael Sandberg Community Leader Oct 20, 2021

All you have to do is go to the Object schema, select Attributes and create a new attribute that is of the type Users. Here are the Cloud instructions for it, Create an attribute. The Cloud documentation does not reference the different types you can select, but have a look at the one for Data Center, Adding attributes to object types. Please note that on DC the user type is associated to a Jira group, this does not apply to Cloud which will list anyone that have access to your instance.  

Like # people like this

I've done as instructed above, thank you for those instructions :) Is there a more automated way of doing this? Since it is mostly not a source of truth for keeping User/employee data, I wonder how this can be done more efficiently. 

Like Tobias H likes this

Hello @Mikael Sandberg!

I have the same question as @Mutya Aller:
Since it is mostly not a source of truth for keeping User/employee data, I wonder how this can be done more efficiently. Can it be automated?

We are using Okta to flush users into Atlassian, and I would like to refrain from manually attaching 600~ users to an Insight object 😰

Hey! I ran into the same thing. I asked my team that owns okta at our company to create a custom workflow set up on a schedule to send the data to the insights api url :) 

Mikael Sandberg Community Leader Jun 28, 2022

Like @Coltin Rose mentioned, if you have Okta then look at creating an Okta workflow that when you add a new user it trigger the workflow to also import it in Insight via REST API. 

Thanks for the answer @Coltin Rose and @Mikael Sandberg !

Will run it by our engineers and hope for the best :D

Like Mikael Sandberg likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Service Management

Improving the Create Issue Experience in Jira Service Management Cloud

Hello everyone!  We are very excited to announce some much needed changes to the issue create experience in JSM (the blue "create" button) at the top of the screen.  We have just starte...

295 views 15 9
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you