Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do companies create forms that make tickets?

Chris Purser December 23, 2021

I have to believe there is a way that people can create forms that can then be turned into tickets, but so far, nothing we've found seems to work well, if at all.

My question is, what are companies doing in these cases?

We've tried native JIRA and JSM integrations and we've tried zapier as an intermediary, but there's ALWAYS some issue with it working.

Example, in Zapier, (the universal integrator), we can't choose a reporter dynamically, because it won't let us use a reporter that doesn't exist yet, AND it also won't let us first make the reporter if they don't exist.

We're just trying to make a form that we can turn into a JSM ticket. It's impossible to believe no one cares about doing this. We have the support widget and it works fine in specific cases, but that can't be installed directly onto a Confluence Knowledgebase, for example. Even if it could, we get ONE. We need 15 potential different forms that we can customize that we get to tailor into tickets.

What are companies like yours doing to accomplish this most basic need?

2 answers

2 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 23, 2021

Hi Chris. Currently I use the portal to present a form that customers can use to create tickets ensuring that the necessary data is collected. Each Request type can present a unique form.

One thing that is currently rolling out is the integration of Proforma- New-form-builder-is-rolling-out-to-Jira-Service-Management .I can’t say personally what that will give us precisely but anxious to learn more.

This Proforma does sound extremely interesting to be sure... 

The problem with using the portal is I don't want to have to constantly take people off my website or out of our native applications to another website in order to give them a support form. And it seems embedding isn't allowed, period.

I also don't want them to be forced to create their own accounts in order to create a ticket, especially when JSM will easily and automatically create an account for them using only their email address, if they use the email method of ticket creation. Why then can there not be a form or integration that does the same thing...

Also, we use other services like a CRM (which Atlassian doesn't even have) and have been able (via server) to create tickets as part of a sales opportunity, and had been able to assign the reporter to the automated ticket as part of that process (we used Zapier - worked for nearly 6 years but as always hedgy). 

Anyway, thanks for the tip.
I really appreciate it

Cheers.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 23, 2021

Understand. Unfortunately that isn’t how JSM works. One thing I have done is to use Automation to pull data out of the body of emails to fill in the fields. However this requires a reliable email format. This works ok if the email comes from a reliable source like a software system but humans can’t be so reliable I’m afraid.

Right, sure, if you're parsing emails.

But I have the data as points (key/value pairs) like what we could get from a form or a webhook... 

So how do you create a JSM ticket, and assign the reporter when you have solid data?

I can't find an app to do that anywhere. This would 100% solve my issue.

Thanks!

I just finished reading a bunch of stuff on proforma and I'm bummed to learn that it seems these forms are only available after someone is already inside of an issue...

Not looking like it'll fit my use need, I'm afraid.

But thanks for the tip.

1 vote
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 23, 2021

@Chris Purser -

As stated by @Jack Brickey , Proforma is a good choice, but it requires additional configurations (we have use Proforma to enhance our Request Type Form to collect more data from the customers).  

Based on your ask, it seems that you want to embed a process in your Confluence Wiki page to allow users to create issues in your JSM project right?.  If so, you can just obtain your JSM portal request form's URL and include them in your Wiki pages.  So, when an user clicks on the URL, it will direct them to your JSM portal request form UI.

Example - Here is our portal (partial image) and I want to get the URL for "General Support" request form -

2021-12-23_11-17-41.png

I can obtain this request form's URL by hovering over the name and obtain the URL -

https://xxxxx/servicedesk/customer/portal/3/create/199

Hope this helps and I agreed with Jack's suggestion.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Thanks, Joseph.

I am aware of the custom request specific URLs, and have used them as bandaids in the past. But you can see in my reply to Jack that I don't want to pull people off a site or require them to create accounts to make tickets. And that doesn't solve the other 50% of the need: to create tickets for people on their behalf, instead of waiting for them to do it manually.

It should be simpler. Every service I've ever used allows for the creation of tickets with the assignments of  reporters, etc. through integrations... except Jira. 

It's a little mindboggling.  I'm hopeful I'm just missing something somewhere. We love Jira for a lot of reasons... But this isn't one.

I'm sure companies are doing what I'm after in some way. I'm hopeful someone who does will see my post and we can all learn how they get what they want, instead of tolerating what they are given.

Cheers

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events